Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Camille-- One Month

I know, I know, it's a total cliche to say it, but I can't help it: How is Camille a month old already???

Time flies.

My babymoon with her was wonderful, but all good things must come to an end, I suppose.  My Mom-- who was here helping out for two weeks after Tracy left-- flew home Saturday night, so Sunday was our first day with five kids and just Craig and I to manage them all.  To make matters worse, it was also my first time back at church AND it was Daylight Savings, so we had to get everyone out the door at 8:30, but really it felt like 7:30!!!!  Doesn't that seem particularly mean???
She looks like how I felt trying to get everyone ready so early!

But we made it.  On time, even!  And we survived church.  And I survived my first morning trying to get the big kids off to school all by myself.  I even managed to hit Target, so that morning was a raging success, in my book!

Anyway, so Camille, or as I sometimes call her in my head, Cami-P!  She's exactly one month old and-- since she was born in February-- exactly 4 weeks, too.  Which makes my OCD side happy.  Let me tell you about this little girl...

She likes to make noises like a horse-- I swear it's like she's huffing and whinnying.  It makes me laugh and it reminds me of how Kendra used to snort like a pig when she got mad.  My children are trying to make up for that farm I still don't have!  Now if only one of them could make goat noises for me...

She's gotten good at sleeping at night.  I'm not saying she's sleeping through the night-- let's not be silly-- but when she's done eating in the middle of the night, she'll usually go right back to sleep.  I think that's about all you can ask for at this point.

Unfortunately, she got baby acne this last week in a BIG way.  Her whole face looks like it's covered in a rash.  So that's too bad.  But on the plus side, it waited until after we did newborn portraits!  So that was huge (especially since it took me forever to get those scheduled!).  And it's already clearing up, so I'm sure her complexion will be beautiful again soon.
You can kind of see her complexion here.  Poor thing!

Like all my children, when she's awake, she has a habit of looking very concerned.  And sometimes slightly cross-eyed and duck-faced.  (Which is why I coo to her, "You look nothing like a duck!")  For all you Downton Abbey fans, the look she pulls sort of reminds me of Spratt (the Dowager Countess's disapproving butler).  It always makes me think she's questioning my parenting choices.  Which, in all fairness, might not be a bad idea..!

"Are you sure you know what you're doing?"

She likes to be bundled up a TON when she's sleeping.  Like, if you can literally see the sweat beading on her forehead, that's how she's the happiest.  And she proves it by sleeping really well when she's drenched in sweat.  I'd worry about this, except my parents used to have the same concern about me when I would turn the thermostat in my room up to sauna levels (lucky for them my room was very small and cheap to heat!) until the window would steam up...  So I guess Cami-P just gets that from me!
All snug in the cocoon my Aunt Jan sewed (crocheted?) for her

Her most adoring fan (after her parents, grandparents, and Aunt Tracy) is probably Colton.  He loves her soooooo much.  He is always asking to hold her.  He loves to bring me her binky.  And whenever she's eating, he'll point to her and comment, "Beebee hunny.  Eat.  Hunny.  Eat."  He also gives "kisses," which consist of leaning towards her and opening his mouth for a second.  It's completely soundless, so unless you know to watch for it, you'll miss it.  But those are Colton kisses!

She also LOVES to be held.  Like, she's been held almost constantly since she was born, and it's because she gets mad /wakes up within ten minutes of being set down.  But usually, snuggled in someone's arms, she's pretty happy.  Unfortunately, now that we're down to just two adults, she's going to have to get used to not being held quite so much.  But she has managed to train me to hold her while I sleep-- something none of my other kids ever accomplished--so we'll snuggle together on the bed and snooze together and it's pretty cozy and nice.

I love my little princess.

What a happy month this has been!

2 comments:

Patrice said...

It is truly hard to believe it has been a month! What a wonderful, beautiful little baby girl she is. I am so glad that you have survived your first couple of days on your own!

Jen Evans said...

Your kids keep getting luckier. Not only do they have you guys, but those doting older brothers and sisters. I think siblings make people better. She is precious.