Sunday, June 28, 2015

Making an Impression


We officially moved to Charlottesville last weekend. True to form, we did it in a weird complicated way, loading the moving van up Friday night and unloading it Saturday morning. I could explain all the reasoning behind that decision, but it probably isn't that interesting to anyone other than us, so for now I'll skip that story.

Kendra had her ballet recital back in Manassas that same Saturday at noon, so we knew we would need to hustle back the moment the truck was unloaded.  For her recital, I had decided to put mascara on her. I'm not a believer in little girls wearing make-up, but this was a special occasion, and a lot of the other kids were sporting full-on foundation, eyeliner and blush, so I figured a little mascara would help Kendra's eyes to pop, and that would be fine. (A friend who also had a daughter in the recital told me she briefly considered putting foundation on her little girl, and then realized that the purpose of foundation was to make it look like you had the perfect skin most little kids already have! So she decided it wasn't necessary.)

Anyway, the point of all this is to tell you that I was sitting there brushing mascara onto Kendra's eyelashes while men were still running around putting our (very heavy) furniture into the various rooms where they now belong. I felt a bit ridiculous, and worried that they might think I was a really weird parent who was into Toddlers & Tiaras or something dreadful like that.

As if that wasn't bad enough, I managed to get some in Kendra's eye, and as I sat there apologizing and trying to fix her watering eye, she loudly exclaimed, “That's okay, Mommy-- anything for beauty!”

I wanted to die.

NO, I have NEVER said anything like that. I really hope these men don't pass this one along to their wives....

2 comments:

Laresa said...

I'm trying to imagine you as a T&T mom. It's reasonably hilarious.

Anne said...

Hahaha! Anything for beauty! Isn't that your motto?? :)