Saturday, October 3, 2015

The 2015 Unofficial Ward Campout

When Bentley was almost one, some friends of ours decided to organize a campout up at Shenandoah National Park.  We were thrilled to be invited-- it's rare for Craig and I to feel cool or popular-- and quickly accepted.  And we had a great time, even though Bentley was afraid of the dirt and refused to let us set him down the entire time.

Everyone had such a good time that the older couple who'd been invited decided to repeat it every year.  And it grew to pretty much include anyone who wanted to come along.  There were years when I think we had as many as 10 families there, so it's quite the party.  (Especially when you keep in mind that these are Mormon families, so there are a LOT of kids thrown in the mix!)
Ryder and a bunch of kids climbing on a big rock.  Oh-- and you can see Kendra's head behind the rock!


Anyway, we'd already committed to this year's campout before we knew we'd be moving, but honestly the move just made me especially excited to go and see my friends again.  And it did not disappoint.  I got to enjoy chatting with everyone while Craig set up the tents and threw our foil dinners in the fire.  I'd been worried about Bentley since none of the kids his age were going to be there, but I shouldn't have.  Before we even got out of the car, an older girl bounded up and they played together the entire time.

Don't let that ridiculous face fool you.  He had a blast.

Camille surprised me by sleeping GREAT in our tent with us.  Colton made up for her good behavior by hardly sleeping at all.  It took him over two hours to finally settle, and then he kept waking up crying throughout the night.  So, yeah, not much sleeping for me or Craig.  But I never really expect to sleep when camping.  (It did mean that I had to sing along with Les Miserables while driving home in order to stay awake.  But that was pretty fun, honestly!)

In the morning, breakfast was all planned and executed to perfection and then most of the people left to take the kids hiking.  I stuck around the campfire with Camille and Colton and enjoyed more talking with two of my friends who'd stayed behind.
I'm so glamorous when I camp!  I love that I've got most of my kids here with me!

It was so great to see some of my dear friends again!  We already told them to count on us being there next year, too!



Bonus: As I was writing all this, I decided to find pictures from previous camping trips.  Here are a few of my favorites:

2010



(You can tell here that I was pregnant with Ryder!)

2012
This was when Kendra bashed her cheek right before the campout.  And I was barely pregnant with Colton here...  I go camping pregnant WAY too often...
2013
Breakfast with Betsy!
Good times with good company!  

2 comments:

Jen Evans said...

Tiny Kendra with the super tan limbs! We always said we'd make it to the camping trips next year, but the next year would come and we'd put it off again. Looks like good people!

Natalie R. said...

Such a fun post, I'm so glad that you guys have an awesome tradition like that! And, btw, I'm really impressed that you're willing to go camping with five kids...!!!