Thursday, January 11, 2018

January is Feeling a Lot Like January

So far we've had three delayed openings and one day where school was cancelled.  We haven't actually had any snow, mind you.  It's just been really cold and so the powers that be decided we'd better sleep in!  And you will never hear a complaint from me if someone wants me to sleep in a bit!

Last Friday as we were about to go to bed, I noticed that my throat felt a little sore.  Then I didn't sleep all night because it suddenly hurt so much.  I got up in the morning to get Camille some breakfast and her antibiotics (she got an ear infection over New Year's) and everything hurt.  I'd tried to exercise for the first time in forever the day before and at first I just thought I was sore from that, but when even my feet hurt, I knew something was terribly wrong.  I spent the whole day in bed and was running a fever that night.  I didn't sleep that night because of the fever and because every time I managed to nod off, I'd start snoring so loudly I'd wake myself up.  Can sore throats give you sleep apnea???  I spent the next day in bed, too, although at least my fever had broken.  When I still couldn't swallow without wincing, I went to the doctor Monday morning (while Craig stayed home with all the kids because school was cancelled in case of possible freezing rain that afternoon). 

Sure enough, I had strep.  I was delighted-- now I could get on antibiotics and start feeling better!  I HATE it when I shell out the money to see a doctor and they inform that I've got a virus and there's nothing they can do.  Grrrr.  Yes, give me a clear cut diagnosis and an easy solution any day.

Unfortunately, my medicine didn't really seem to be help.  The nurse practitioner who I'd seen had warned me that if I didn't improve quickly to get back in touch, so on Day 3 of antibiotics and still hardly being able to swallow, I sent her a message explaining this.  She immediately called in another prescription and this one seems to be working better.  My throat is still a bit sore (now I've got a lovely canker sore sitting right above my left tonsil) but at least I can swallow again.

Ugh.  I'm such a wimp when I'm sick.  But this was pretty lousy. 

Tuesday afternoon it finally warmed up to 50 degrees in the afternoon and everyone was so excited.  Winter is so demoralizing.

1 comment:

)en said...

Amen.and soooo sorry you got the strep. What misery. The flu's been on a rampage in these parts and I'm a little people-phobic. On the plus side, January's half over and ours has been so freakishly mild. I've decided I love it. No snow is good snow. And I don't care that we live in a desert and "need the moisture." I do not care.