Friday, October 5, 2012

Writing Everywhere Else

Has a week gone by since I last posted anything?  I feel like I've been writing up a storm, but I realize now that none of it has been for the blog.

This past month I've written up memories of my friend Carla for her children to have.  That was certainly not easy to write out.  I got up to five pages single spaced and was just done, even though I still feel like I must be leaving out so many important things.  It was good to get things down on paper so I don't forget too much, but it worries me that I've already probably forgotten so much.

I also wrote down most of Bentley's birth story and ALL of the details regarding Kendra's birth.  That was all for an email, so I can't give you a page count, but it was long.  AND, it was all just posted on the blog Mama Birth!  So you should check it out and make her number of hits go up!  (My interview was posted along with a completely random picture of a gorgeous house which in no way belongs to me...  I guess that's what I get for forgetting to send in any pictures!)

And then I just completed and mailed off a three page letter to Kaiser's head OB/GYN, who I'll be meeting with in two weeks, explaining exactly why I don't want to deliver this Little Peanut at a hospital.  (The gist of that mostly comes from the lousy experience I had with Ryder's birth, all of which was posted here, but for the doctor I made it sound a little more professional and also included a bunch of stats gleaned from this study about uterine rupture and fun stuff like that!)

I also helped Craig edit a paper he wrote for grad school.  I'm certainly not claiming to have done much work there, other than the task of putting myself into "critical reader" mode for a bit.  In fact, other than tweaking the wording here and there, the only thing I really contributed was to drastically rewrite his thesis (after I insulted him by telling him I thought it was "dumb"; he rather pointedly asked if this was how I worked with my students back when I taught writing...  I might not have been the great teacher I'd like to believe I was!).  In any case, Craig got one of the top grades in his class and his professor even commented that he had a really great thesis.  So I'm very proud of Craig and pleased that I could help out a little bit!

Anyway, that's been my writing as of late.  ...Ooh, and I just checked back at the Mama Birth blog and there's already a comment by someone who I offended!  Gosh, the internet can be fun!...  But I think those were all the major writing projects I had going on, so maybe I'll get back to blogging this week!  Once I'm done apologizing to "Anonymous" over there...

Happy Friday, everyone!

1 comment:

Vangie said...

Amazing posts! I love the "I am woman, hear me roar!"