Friday, September 28, 2012

Obamacare Summed Up in One Sentence

All right, some of you are just going to hate this.  And some of you are going to love it.  And, as is often the case on my blog, I'm probably too lazy to get into any real kind of political debate discussion.  Which is not to say that I don't want to hear and consider your opinions, it just means that I know myself well enough to admit that I probably won't bother responding in any real depth.  Because if I were interested in real depth, I'd hardly be so excited about a one-sentence summary of Obamacare, now, would I?

Anyway, this is a doctor doing her best to sum up what Obamacare means in just one (fairly long) sentence.  And I think she makes some fair and accurate points.  For those of you with the same political leanings as I have-- enjoy!  For those of you who disagree, I still love you despite the differences of opinion!  Really, I do!








Aaaaaaand, just so I'm not only being a whiner, I'll just add my 2¢'s worth of what I think could work really well as a health care reform idea, which is the employee health insurance plan offered by Whole Foods.  You probably saw this article when it was published, so this isn't anything new.  But I still really like it.  At least, if my health care were run this way, I'd be able to just go to the birth center I like and use my health care account to pay for it without having to jump through all the hoops of convincing my insurance company to foot the bill!  My own choice!!-- wouldn't that be nice?

3 comments:

Erin said...

I like this article from a couple years ago as well: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2009/09/how-american-health-care-killed-my-father/307617/

Things definitely are not okay with the current state of American health insurance. My biggest problem with those opposed to what the current administration has tried to do and what has been implemented in Massachusetts is that they often offer no alternatives, acting as though the current system isn't incredibly broken. There are some things in "Obamacare" that I like and some I don't. And that's of the little I've actually learned about. Should I take the time to read it all? Eh, maybe, but it's not going to happen. I'm sure I'd find more to like and to dislike if I did wade through it.

We chose the HRA option for our insurance, and I'm really glad we had that option. High deductible, but that comes with a lower premium and we can choose any doctor we want. The company funds half of the deductible and if any of that is left at the end of the year it rolls over (we've yet to have any left, but maybe in the next couple of years we'll manage that). Yes, it requires more awareness of what services are costing, but I think most people could do with having to be more aware and responsible for knowing what their health care costs.

Natalie R. said...

I absolutely love this video, it makes me laugh every time!

Erin, you couldn't possibly read the Affordable Care Act - the thing is twice as long with Gone With the Wind and all written in legal talk (I tried to read 20 pages, and it made no sense to me). And I disagree with you that anyone thinks American health care is okay - my husband's a doctor, and we think the way things are going is terrible. We just happen to think that Obamacare isn't going to make it any better (quite the opposite).

There are a lot of other suggestions out there, but not a single one was addressed in 2010 by anyone who had a say in the matter....

Erin said...

Yeah, I guess that's more what I was getting at, Natalie. It was very frustrating to me back in 2010 that it kept getting paraded as a choice between x or y with no other options. Kinda like how we do our political parties I guess. We've fooled ourselves into thinking we only have a choice between GOP or Dems when that's not the case at all. Anyway, obviously there are some people, like Alanna and yourself, who aren't happy with the status quo but disagree with Obamacare. But I've also come across a lot of people who have a "I have good health insurance, what's everyone else's problem" mindset.