Friday, July 11, 2014

Home, Sweet Home

I love it here in Manassas.  I really do.  And I appreciate that there is a lot of really cool stuff just a hop skip and a jump away in DC.  And I also realize that living near any city-- big or small-- will mean that traffic is something you have to accept and deal with every now and then.

But can I just whine for a minute, please?  Because seriously, the traffic here SUCKS.  Some DJ on the radio was giving a list of the top ten worst commutes in the country, and THREE of them were in DC.  It's the only place in the world that I know of where the closer you get to the city, the less lanes there are on the freeway, culminating in a two-lane highway as you enter the city which, during rush hour, are only carpool lanes.  Brilliant.

Anyway, for this, and other reasons, I usually do my best to avoid the city and traffic and all that.  But apparently my kids have picked up on it anyway.  When we were coming home from Assateague last week, as we drove onto I-66 (the main freeway that leads from our home to the city), everything was at a dead stand-still.  Bentley wryly commented, "Welcome home!"

And then other day, Ryder was very excited to show me his creation:


Yup, he created a traffic jam.

It might be time to move.

2 comments:

Patrice said...

I loved Ryder's traffic jam! Bentley's comment was very telling!

Erin said...

Ha! I love that Ryder created a traffic jam! Moving is a great idea. I think you should move to Seattle (okay, so traffic may not be much better, but bike and bus are options here...). I'm a bit selfish saying that, but I'm guessing you've got family that wouldn't mind. :)