Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Manassas Camp Out, 2016

Back in March we told our Manassas friends to count us in for the annual ward camp out.  As long as we've got an invitation, I hope we can keep making it to Shenandoah with our friends.

But then Craig changed jobs and stuff came up.  Namely, the first home football game of the season happened to be the same night as the camp out.  And that was something Craig absolutely could NOT miss.  We texted back and forth about what to do about it.  Craig suggested we just camp the next night (technically it's a two-night thing, but most people only do the first night), but that would mean missing the Saturday morning breakfast, which is really the best part.  I thought about it for a bit (probably not for nearly long enough) and announced that I would go without Craig.  He could join me super late that night whenever the game finished.

So that's what we did.

I texted my friends who would be there and asked for their (or their husbands') help setting up our tents.  I figured I could set up tents or I could watch my kids, but I probably couldn't do both at the same time.  They said that would be no problem, so we were all set!  Craig was sweet and hauled our camping gear up from the basement for me the night before.  We decided that without Craig and since I wouldn't be doing much cooking, we didn't need our car topper (which was good, since I'm kind of short to get stuff in and out of it very easily, and if there was a problem where it fell off the car or something, there's NO WAY I would be able to muscle it back up again).  I loaded everything.  I packed the very little food we needed.  I picked the kids up from the bus stop, told them to grab all their stuff (backpacks, water bottles, pillows), double-checked they'd actually done it, and off we went!

The drive up was smooth sailing and when we arrived, only the Scoresbys and my friend Patty Atkins and her kids were there.  Within fifteen minutes we had my tents up and I was good to go!  I kept it simple-- hotdogs and s'mores for the kids and then bedtime.  And Bentley and Kendra were both super helpful about getting hotdogs cooked for their little siblings, so that was awesome.  I love having older, helpful kids!  And, camping is a lot more fun now that Camille can walk and doesn't need to be held the entire time!

I'd hoped everyone would settle down easily since Colton hadn't had a nap and Ryder is exhausted after school each day, but no such luck: they were messing around inside the tent until WAY too late at night.  But eventually (after much threatening on my behalf) they did go to sleep.

And then I got to hang around the campfire chatting with my friends in exactly the way that I like best.  It was a great time!

After 11pm I turned in, but sleep was impossible-- bad combination of people still talking around the fire, being a little cold, having a bit of a headache, and sort of wanting to go to the bathroom but worrying that that would wake up Camille...  Eventually I gave up and re-joined everyone still talking around the fire (I also took some Tylenol, put on some extra layers, and made a trip to the bathroom, so that made everything better) and settled in to wait for Craig to arrive, which turned out to be at 1:30am (poor Craig-- the game had gotten delayed twice, then it had run really long, and then it had gone into overtime!) and everyone headed to bed shortly after that.

And, of course, the kids were probably up around 6?  Ah, camping-- you will not sleep, no matter what!   But other than that it's so great!!!

In any case, we all got up and Crystal had organized a great breakfast.  Everyone sat around eating and chatting, and eventually most of the Dads (and some of the Moms) took the kids hiking while I stayed with Camille and Colton and a few other Moms with kids too young to enjoy hiking.  More of sitting around talking (this time under shade with a net to keep the bugs out-- fabulous!).  The Johns, other good friends of ours, came up just for the breakfast and hike, so it was really great to see them again, too.

Eventually it was time to get going.  Craig and I were both so exhausted that I really don't think either of us were very safe driving home, but we made it okay.  And then I collapsed onto my bed, dirty camping feet and all, and napped for two hours before I could function enough to bathe the kids and start on the laundry.

It was an exhausting weekend.  But it was SO fun and wonderful to see everyone.  And I am kind of proud of myself for pulling off so much of it without Craig (even if I did get plenty of help from other people).

Image result for wwII rosie the riveter we are strong

It sure was nice when he showed up, though!  I like that husband of mine...

I feel so lucky to have so many great friends who I still get to see occasionally.  And man, you really can't beat Shenandoah in late August-- so cool and beautiful and refreshing.  It was a great weekend.

No comments: