Thursday, December 22, 2016

Party of the Year

When I lived in Manassas, my friend Anitra began throwing a White Elephant/Ugly Sweater Christmas party each year.  They were the BEST parties-- truly raucous and hilarious, which is hard to pull off when you're Mormon and alcohol is off-limits.  They were so fun, I even tried to recreate it in Charlottesville (and a lot of people came and it was very nice-- but having a party at 10am on a Saturday just does NOT elicit the same craziness that a Friday night party will get you!).  (It also probably didn't help that the average age of the Relief Society in my ward is about 70.) 

Anyway.  A couple pictures from past parties might explain better than I can with mere words just how fabulous these parties were:
Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling
L-R, My sister Tracy, me (very pregnant with Camille), Tracy Scoresby in horsehead and tacky sweater, and Anna Cordner

And the year before, I got the fish that Jen is holding ("Lenee," named for the giver) which now sits in Craig's office.  And no, nothing in those cups is alcoholic!





I was already thinking of heading up to Manassas to visit Tracy on her birthday when my friend Vangie mentioned that the party would be that same day.  And I was sold.  I texted Candace, who was now throwing the party (since Anitra moved to Utah the same summer we did) and begged to be invited, too.  I asked my in-laws to babysit (since Craig had to chaperone a basketball game).  I got everything arranged.  And I was off, returning to Northern Virginia!

You know how they say you can never go home again?  I've been fully aware of the truth of that sentiment.  I've had plenty of times where I've shown up to a place that has significance to me, only to find that in my absence everyone has moved on and no one really cares that I've been gone, let alone that I'm back.  The first few times that happened it was a bit painful (and super awkward), so I know the drill.  I was really excited to see all these friends again, but I wasn't expecting it to be some amazing homecoming or anything.

But, it turns out, sometimes you CAN go home again.  Because seeing these friends was truly like I'd never left at all.  And it was even better than I'd hoped it might be!  A bunch of the ladies there had also been gone-- Jen came back from Chantilly, Christina was home after spending two years in China, Anitra flew in for the party (!!!) and Sarah carpooled there with me.  And miracle of miracles, I managed to spend a good chunk of time talking with most of them!

AND IT WAS SO FUN!!!!!

Halfway through the party, I realized that my cheeks hurt from laughing and smiling so much.  Now THAT is a great feeling!

Image may contain: 2 people, people sitting and child
I LOVED my friend Andrea's ugly sweater for this year

Image may contain: 13 people, people smiling, people standing
Getting ready for the big group picture

Image may contain: 5 people, people smiling, screen
Sarah got the final prize: a re-gift from years ago when Anitra gave away a poster of herself with the caption, "I believe in you."  This inspired a spate of Anitra-themed gifts, pictured below:
Image may contain: 10 people, people smiling
Here we have two t-shirts, two framed pictures, and two mugs, all featuring Anitra.  Bet she'll think twice before she posts any more pictures on facebook!


Image may contain: 20 people, people smiling, living room and indoor
The whole, happy gang.


Oh, how I love these friends of mine.  When we moved to Manassas in 2006, I never could have guessed how many wonderful friendships I would find there.  How lucky am I?


I already can hardly wait until next year's party!

No comments: