Saturday, August 2, 2008

Fairy Lights


So when I took Rachael home today, I had to swing by the house and look at it again (it's completely out of the way, but Rachael was nice about it). We stood in the backyard so Rachael could see it and admire the fact that it's decent-sized and has woods in the back, and GUESS WHAT WE SAW??? FIREFLIES!!! How cool is that? I was really excited.

The first time I ever saw fireflies (and they're the same thing as lightning bugs, right?) was when I was on Long Island ten years ago for Leah's wedding. Of course I'd heard of them, and I think they had them in the Disney cartoon of Robin Hood so I thought I had a pretty good idea of what they looked like. Boy, was I wrong. Because in the cartoon, they were just these little floating lights. But in reality, they turn off and on as they fly around, so you just catch these glimpses of light here and there as they fly about and it is absolutely enchanting. It really is. I've been a huge fan of them ever since!

2 comments:

Natalie R. said...

Yay! I remember at Leah's wedding when we saw some for the first time, it really was magical! I remember it took us a while to figure out what the weird lights were, too! Your house sure looks nice, I'm so excited for you both!!

Rachael said...

Lol, I definitely remember seeing fireflies for the first time on Long Island- so startling and so cool! Also, it was really fun to see your house again and to see the backyard. It's so cute! :)