Sunday, October 2, 2011

Christmas Prep

Craig LOVES Christmas. Everyone loves Christmas, really, but Craig can get excited about Christmas at any time of the year. He loves Christmas the way little kids love Christmas. It's one of the many things that I love about him. We're a good team, since he likes to do the Christmas shopping, and decorating. I love having it all done, but I'm too lazy to do a very good job with any of it. We may not decorate much for Halloween or Thanksgiving, but at Christmas time our house looks very festive. And this year, we're already planning on putting our red sheets on the bed, so with our new green wall even our bedroom will be Christmasy!

This year we've invited my family to come and celebrate in Virginia with us. We still don't know exactly who will be able to make it, but we're remaining optimistic. And, in our excitement, we've been planning little bits and pieces of the holiday as thoughts occur to us, like who will sleep where and what activities we'll be doing ahead of time. (Like the Messiah Sing-along at the Kennedy Center!!!!)

Today, we tried out these cinnamon rolls. And they were amazing. These are what we will make Christmas morning. The combination of allspice and cloves smelled just like Christmas morning should smell! So the plan is to make one batch of these rolls, another batch without nuts for my sister Rachael, one batch of the orange rolls we tried yesterday. And if enough people come, maybe one more batch of the original recipe, too.

The next thing we need to do is figure out if they'll still taste good if we make them the day before and reheat them.

I love that Craig is so excited for Christmas. I love that he gets me all excited for it, too. It's the only thing that lets me tolerate the suddenly cold weather we're experiencing.



Just for the record, even though we keep making sweet rolls, we've been eating really healthy dinners...!

Anyone else getting excited for the holidays?

5 comments:

Rachael said...

Those sound delicious! Will you make some for me, even if we can't be there at Christmas? Pretty please? :) Sorry we haven't been able to finalize any plans yet... hopefully we'll be able to figure things out soon!

Nancy said...

I haven't ever tried your recipe, but with regular cinnamon and orange rolls, they still taste really good for a day or two if you microwave them for a few seconds. I made my mom's cinnamon rolls for Conference and actually froze 1/3 of them in rolled up dough form to see how that'll go. I usually make my family eat a normal breakfast on Christmas morning and I made a HUGE breakfast for lunch. Weird, but the only way I can have the breakfast and open presents without anyone (ie: Will) passing out from starvation.

Erin said...

We'll be getting together with all of my family for Christmas - probably the last time this will happen. We've definitely got some plans in the making. We probably won't get a tree here in Seattle since we'll be gone, but I might just have to hang up our stockings anyway - how could I not when we have a fireplace?? :) But before I can really get into Christmas I have to get an Aang costume made for Halloween (and if I get that done remarkably fast maybe even try to make a working glider?).

)en said...

I, too, love christmas. But I love Halloween as much, so i enjoy that first. Thanksgiving is fine but suuuper low key. Never around family this time of year, and also super lazy, we either wait to see if we get invited somewhere or totally blow it off and spend the days off running around, no special dinner. Ha ha.

Natalie R. said...

I'm not ready to be excited for Christmas yet because I'm so excited for Halloween!!! Samuel asks me almost every day if today is the day we get to go Trick'r'Treating!!!