Sunday, November 15, 2015

Packing Woes

Okay, I just finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows today (SO GOOD!!!  HOW ARE ALL THESE BOOKS STILL SO GOOD?!?!?!?!) so I should be able to start blogging again now.

For today, I thought I'd try to make you laugh to make up for my extended absences.  We'll see if I can pull that off...


So!  When Craig and I were dating, we went to Las Vegas for a long weekend.  My aunt and uncle live there, so we had a free place to stay (Thank you, Bruce and Leanne!) and we enjoyed touring the strip and seeing the Blue Man Group perform and continuing to get to know one another.  (I remember that after our drive back to Provo, we sat in the car still talking away a mile a minute and I thought to myself, I could marry this guy.)  The only real glitch in our trip was when we were getting ready to go to church with my uncle and his family ('cuz everyone goes to church when they're in Vegas, right?) and Craig discovered that he'd forgotten to pack his church shoes!  It wasn't a big deal-- he just wore his tennis shoes, and it looked kind of stupid.  No biggie.

Little did I know that this was setting a precedent for our married lives together.  As we began our married lives together, Craig would routinely forget to pack things like his toothbrush or his contact lens solution. 

And now, with each kid that we add to the mix, we just keep getting worse at it all.  So today, I'm proud to present you with a list of

Things We Have Forgotten to Pack

1)  On a trip to Hershey, we forgot all the kids' toothbrushes.  Oops.  We were only there for a few days, so we just didn't brush their teeth.  I was okay with that until my sister ran by trying to floss her own kids' teeth and it occurred to me that I might be a terrible mother.

2)  In New York, we somehow ended up with no shirts for Bentley.  Except the one he was wearing.  A trip to Wal-Mart was in order...

3)  Another trip to Las Vegas, Craig managed to not pack any underwear for himself.  None. At all.  My sister got to take him underwear shopping while I was at some other activity.  It's nice that Craig can bond with my sisters in weird ways like this....  And, I'm not sure I've ever seen my Dad laugh so hard.

4)  Our first Sunday going to church after Kendra was born, and we were all freaked out about having TWO KIDS at church, we showed up and realized we'd forgotten the diaper bag.  Big oops.

5)  We stayed at a Bed & Breakfast with Camille and forgot ALL OUR LUGGAGE.  This time the only thing we had was the diaper bag.  I guess we were lucky we had that...  Also, within ten seconds of realizing we hadn't brought our suitcases, a wasp landed on my bottom lip and stung me.  It swelled up to enormous proportions and I looked a Kardashian.  Our trip went from awesome to awful in 30 heartbreaking seconds.

I'm not sticking that lip out at all.  That's really what it looked like.
6)  I'm not sure I've ever remembered to pack flashlights any time we've gone camping.  It's annoying not having them.

7)  Craig once showed up for the father-son campout without his tent...  Fortunately the bishop had a spare.

8)  Last Sunday, we forgot to bring a binkie for Camille.  Five kids and we still make amateur mistakes like that...  (Fortunately our home teachers had given us Halloween treats for the kids, and included in that were Puffs for babies.  Those kept her happy the entire third hour.)


So anyway, when we went to Williamsburg, Craig didn't have time to pack, so he asked if I could do it for him.  I hedged a bit, saying that I was worried I wouldn't know all the stuff he needed me to bring-- like contact lenses and hair gel that I don't use.  He just laughed and said, "Well, I don't exactly have the best track record there, so you probably can't do worse than I've done!"

True dat. 

I didn't forget a thing.

4 comments:

Nancy said...

When we lived in California, Brandon flew to Missouri for a job interview which involved renting a car and driving from St. Louis to the middle of the state (2 or 3 hours). LUCKILY, he flew into St. Louis, which has a temple and not Kansas City (which didn't have a temple at the time), both equal distance from where he needed to be, and the KC side of the state also housed his brother's family... not sure why he didn't go that way, but mid flight he realized he hadn't packed underwear.

)en said...

OH MAN. The wasp story + pic is making me 😂 Sooo good. Sorry for bombarding with all the comments but I just couldn't not

)en said...

{cry laughing emoji}

Anne said...

Oh my goodness. That was hilarious.