Tuesday, May 24, 2016

RIP Chickens

I jinxed myself in that last post when I said that the chickens were doing great.  Last Monday the fox managed to get into their coop and kill all of them.  I feel partially to blame because I noticed the night before that the coop was getting a bit damaged from being moved, and it was hard to close the door properly.  But I still didn't really think a fox would spot the problem and bust it open.  I underestimated my opponent.

Anyway, the worst part was that I didn't know it had happened, and sent Kendra to feed them, so she came back in tears.  What a way to find out!  The one fortunate thing was that at least there wasn't anything terribly gruesome to see (unlike last year when I was left with two chicken corpses to dispose of)-- just a lot of feathers all over the yard.  Craig used his leaf blower to get rid of the feathers so the kids wouldn't have to see those until the wind took care of them.

So we no longer have chickens.  Since it was against the HOA rules here to own them anyway, I don't think we'll get any more.  And I think I wouldn't want to bother again unless we had a big dog who would guard them.  Clearly our own efforts are not enough to out-smart the fox, and I really preferred it when we could let them roam around the yard, which just isn't an option without some protection.  Maybe some day...

But for now, I'm sad our chickens are gone and that I let them down.  They were good pets and I tried to take good care of them.  Good-bye, little chickens.

Colton contemplating Marshmallow

P.S. Not to look on the bright side too quickly or anything, but Craig admitted that this does help my chances of getting a pet bunny some day...  Is it too soon to start researching rabbit breeds?

3 comments:

John & Rebekah said...

Join 4-H and you can "win" a bunny...We had a embryology field trip right after Easter to one of the farmer's that is giving us eggs to hatch. She had all the children put their names in a plastic egg to win a "chocolate" bunny. Turns out she didn't mean a chocolate you can eat bunny but rather a Chocolate Silver Fox rabbit. Josiah didn't win; however, the father of the boy who did win denied him the bunny (they were moving, etc.) Long story short, Thunder Thumper Losee (Josiah named him since he's Josiah's bunny) is now part of our family. He lives outside in a cute little hutch and John got him a dog kennel thing for an enclosed exercise area. I actually really like Thunder. It's kind of relaxing to watch him jump around and Josiah just loves him. Our only worry is summer time as rabbits don't sweat so we may to bring him inside in the summer. Josiah's working on a cage for his bedroom in case Thunder has to come inside. If you are in Manassas, you are welcome to come check Thunder out. If you have any questions about rabbit, send Josiah a message. He's finishing up a project on rabbits and has a list of breeds and information like that.

Jen Evans said...

Sad chicken news. We have foxes here too that ate our neighbors chicken. One night we heard him barking at our cat. I don't know how farmers manage to keep any chickens alive.

Jen Evans said...

Also it ate all our friends groundhog babies that were living in her yard. Cruel cruel nature.