Sunday, August 16, 2009

Green Thumb

My neighbor gave me this beautiful orchid as a house-warming gift back in February. It was in bloom when I got it, and-- lo and behold!-- I managed to get it to bloom again!

I was so excited, I had to document it:

Isn't it so pretty?

Yeah, within a week of these pictures, it's two leaves turned yellow, shriveled and fell off. My neighbor said to just throw it away; apparently orchids can't survive without those leaves. I went ahead and watered it one last time and moved it to a less-sunny spot, and the blooms revived for another couple days and then withered and fell off.

Now I have a foot-long stem sticking out of a pot of dirt. It looks like this:

I hate to just chuck it, because you just never know, right? Maybe it will suddenly shoot out some new leaves, right??? But I'm pretty sure the lesson I'm taking from this is that I should never ever spend any money on living things. (Lucky those kids were practically free, huh?)

7 comments:

delilas said...

That is really pretty. What a disppointment that it may die. And kids are practically free when they are young but they get more and more expensive as time goes on, but worth it.

Mary Gray said...

I LOVE orchids. They're my favorite flower. But I can relate with its possible death. I haven't been able to keep alive a single plant yet!

ugkuyg said...

I gave up on my ability to keep things alive long ago. Plants and pets. Just not worth it.

Too bad though, that orchid was really pretty!

Natalie R. said...

Those flowers were really pretty, I'm impressed you got some out of it! I'm sorry it's not looking pretty now, but you never know what may happen. ;0)

Tracy said...

Depends on how you get the kids. :0)
At least you got something out of the plant. I usually kill them and fish after the first week or so.

Patrice said...

At least you got a beautiful photo of it before it "kicked the pot" so to speak! Plants are funny-I have impatiens and begonias in two pots by the front door-same size planter box, same location, same plants-one is thriving and the other is not. Weird, huh??

Liza Jane said...

I actually have a lavender orchid that looks like your first pictures right now! I hope I do better with mine than you did.... :)