Saturday, September 13, 2014

Manassas Color Vibe 5K

Two weeks before I found out I was pregnant, I signed up to do another 5K with my friends.  I was excited for this one because it was actually IN Manassas, so I wouldn't have to drive more than an hour just to get there.  And since I walked for most of the last one I did, I was really hoping to train and finally get back in shape and ready for this race.  But then Baby5.0 happened AND I hurt my foot, and I gave up on the idea of running.  I decided I'd just let Craig run it for me instead.  I could bring the kids and we would cheer him on.  That would still be fun, right?

Then, as it got closer to the day of the actual race, I learned that most of my friends were doing it with their kids, so they weren't going to be running all that much, either.  Well, I may be pregnant, but I can certainly WALK a 5K.  So I told Craig I could do it after all.  But by this time he'd already told people at work he could join them in the run, so now we were stuck.  And the only obvious solution was to all do it together!  And I'm so glad we did-- it was a blast!  A very colorful blast!


All ready for the race!

I decided to use my pink color packet right away on my hair.  Bentley and Kendra liked it enough that we did their hair, too!

I think it's a good look for us, actually!


We brought the rain gear for the stroller, but quickly discovered that Colton didn't like it, and Ryder (who wasn't feeling so great) was really bothered by color getting on him, so it didn't take long to switch who got the plastic cover
It's hard to see everyone, but this is most of the gang-- we had a lot of us!

I convinced Craig to go blonde.  What a hottie!  Plus it made him WAY easier to spot when he got ahead of me!
Getting more colorful as we wait to get started

Colton is too cool for school


I think Bentley was the most excited of all of us

He probably ended up running a 10K-- he would run ahead, then back to us, and then ahead again.  And he never got tired.  I need to sign that kid up for track...
Waiting at the start line (with Vangie and Jada behind me!)

About to hit the Green Zone

Right at the end it started raining on us, so we looked like we look like a technicolor version of Platoon or something

Kendra got pretty worn out by the end, but she pushed on and finished!  I was so proud of her!

All done and still smiling!
Colton was such a good sport about it all-- he always puts up with everything we throw at him.  What a trooper!

Throwing color and rocking out at the finish line
I got some color on my camera lens, so my pictures all look a bit foggy...

Ah yes, there's Ryder!  We did bring him!  About halfway through he decided he liked it and even ran for quite a bit while Kendra took a break in the stroller.

Bentley liked being covered in color

Kendra with our friend Sister Blodgett, who walked with us the whole way and held Kendra's hand when she needed it

Ready for a bath, and sort of looking like a rainbow version of a Garbage Pail Kid...



I'm so glad we decided to do this as a family!  We had such a great time!  But I would like it if the next 5K I sign up for, I actually run for some of it....!

5 comments:

Patrice said...

It looks like the happiest technicolor day that I could imagine!!! And I'm glad there is such a happy reason for you not to run! Everyone looks so happy & cute!!

Patrice said...

I just looked at the photos again (plus a few more) and I can't stop smiling!!

ugkuyg said...

Wow you guys have about half the ward there :) how fun!

Juliana said...

What a fun family event! Jeff and I considered the Color Run in Philly this year (we were in PA that weekend anyway), but Jeff was concerned that "we aren't fun enough" to do events like that. Haha! (The real deciding factor was that it was about 100 degrees that weekend - no thank you.)

I agree with Patrice - this are such happy pictures. I'm especially loving the baby in the plastic!

Natalie R. said...

That looks like so much fun, I love it! I think walking the 5K as a family was probably way more fun that running it by yourself!!