Monday, September 25, 2017

A History of Our Family Portraits

We did family portraits Saturday morning, and I'm so excited to see how they turned out.  We don't do a lot of waiting in this day and age, so this suspense feels a bit nostalgic-- it's the closest I can get to turning in a roll of film and waiting to see what gets developed!

But this has made me think about all the portraits we've done throughout the years, and I'm realizing that they are scattered all over the computer and internet.  It made me worry that I wouldn't be able to find them all, so for this post, I'm finding as many family pictures as I can.  It will be a little trip down memory lane...

The funny thing is, we didn't really do portraits for a long time-- we were just too poor and I never felt that I could justify the expense.  The most we would do was one 9-month portrait of each kid.  Other than that, we faked it as best we could-- so most of these (as you'll see) are FAR from professional.  And even the professional ones often leave a lot to be desired.  But it's good to have them anyway--  I don't always realize that Craig and my appearance have changed so much over the twelve years we've been married-- and, obviously, the kids are changing at lightspeed.  So here we go with all the family portraits I can remember and/or find!

This was Bentley's baby blessing, taken outside our church building.  Yeah, we look very young here!  And REALLY tired...

Christmas 2006 all of Craig's family went to South Carolina and a friend of Aunt Lynda's did portraits of everyone.  Why we thought it would be a good idea to put white socks on Bentley with that outfit is a mystery to me...
Kendra's baby blessing.  I like that her hair is kind of mohawk-y.  And that Bentley looks like he's trying to pick Craig's pocket...
Christmas 2008, and we were so proud to own a house!
I think this was in November of 2008-- my Mom sent us all Bay Hay & Feed shirts, so we had to document us wearing them!
Christmas 2009 when we went to Disney World with my family-- we never managed to get a very good picture, despite lots of shots taken!

For this one, Craig set up a tripod on the battlefield.  It took SO MANY shots to get us looking this normal!

This is just a family picture I liked (and which I used as my blog banner for a while) when we went to Mount Vernon with my parents shortly after Ryder was born
I think we just handed the camera to a stranger at the temple and wound up with this one-- not bad!

This was our Christmas card in 2011.  I'm pretty sure Craig photo shopped Bentley to look less blurry, but I can't find that version right now...
Right after Colton was born, my visiting teacher was just starting her photography business and offered to do these portraits for free-- she did SUCH A great job!  I was so happy!
So then we hired her to do these portraits when my whole family was in town for Colton's baby blessing
And she did it again with all Craig's family at Christmas time.  Unfortunately, I chose to wear that rather unfortunate lipstick.  And I was fat.  But what can you do?

This was taken on Bainbridge Island when we flew out for my Grandma's 100th birthday and blessed Camille while we were there.  I hate how fat my face looks here, but I like how the kids look!

For this one, in 2015, we just handed a good camera to a friend and told her to take as many pictures as possible.  This was the best we got, and I like it a lot!
I know that doing pictures inside a studio is totally not the hip way to do things, but I couldn't find any outdoorsy photographers in Charlottesville and this was the best I could figure out.  Despite the lameness of being inside, I love how everyone looks here.  So it was worth it!




So that's what we've got!  It shocked me how hard it was to find all of these-- I've started working on saving them all in one place on the computer so this won't be so hard in the future.  Isn't it funny how we take so many pictures these days that we can't keep track of them at all???

Anyway-- stay tuned for our newest ones, coming soon!

2 comments:

)en said...

Kinda loved this! Fun way to do an age progression-type thing. We've never done professional photos- not once. We do our annual weirdo Christmas cards pics and call it good. I have a feeling the profesh ones just wouldn't be my style. Also this reminds me of when I was trying to bond with my hair stylist (who's like 24) about old school picture taking and "selfies." I said "I mean you could take selfies right..." and just as I said "...you just had to wait two weeks to see what they looked like" SHE said "..you had to turn the camera over to see them on the screen!" Bc a digital camera was her earliest camera. and I was like OOOKAY, we're done here. ✋🏼 😜

ugkuyg said...

This is awesome! I love seeing everyone get older and the addition of each kid :)