Thursday, September 22, 2022

Windshield Update

I did, in fact, call about my windshield again.  They said they had one in stock now and could install it on Thursday (why they hadn't reached out to me like they'd promised to do is a big question, but what can you do?).  I was given the same 8am-5pm window, with assurances that the technician would text when he was on his way.

He showed up at 8:45 without texting.  I'd been planning on walking around the neighborhood with my friends, so he was lucky we hadn't left yet.  But I was thrilled he was there and had a windshield for me and everything!  We watched as he and another guy installed it.  He'd said it should take about an hour and twenty minutes (part of that time was driving around to make sure it was properly calibrated).  After about a half hour he knocked again.  This wasn't the right windshield for the cameras on my van and couldn't be calibrated.  So they'd put the old, cracked windshield back in.  He promised to come back on Tuesday with the right one.  At this point it had all become so ridiculous I couldn't stop laughing.

Later that evening, as I was in the middle of cooking dinner and making sure the kids showed up for each of their piano lessons (this is harder than you might think, since they're constantly running off to neighbors' houses).  I got a call from the middle school: it was Ryder!  He'd somehow missed the bus (???) and needed me to come and pick him up.  The middle school is a ways away, so I frantically tried to get everything on the stove to a place where I could walk away for a bit.  Then I jumped in the van and... it wouldn't start.

A light was on inside.  I guess the technician had left that on when he left, and it drained the battery?

So now I'm no longer laughing.  I'm frantically calling and texting everyone I know trying to find a ride to the middle school and I'm also calling Safelite demanding that they fix my car.  They promised to come right over and jump it.  They never showed up.  (A neighbor was able to pick up Ryder, since her son had also missed the bus.  What the heck, schools???).  I tried calling Safelite again this morning since my car was still dead, and the main office guy couldn't get the local store to answer their phone.  He gave me their direct line and suggested I call them myself.

Instead I called my insurance and asked if there were any other companies they could contract with.  And if they could send out roadside assistance, too (which they did, in less than an hour).  

The new guys are scheduled for this Wednesday.  They said they've heard similar bad stories about Safelite.  Here's hoping the Glass Doctor is better.  

And I can't decide if I care enough to cancel on Safelite, or if I should just waste their time like they've been wasting mine.

My life is so stupid sometimes.

No comments: