Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Realization

I was walking home from the bus stop the other morning when I saw a crow flying away over and through the woods.  I don't know where that crow was headed, but he seemed in a real hurry to get there.  And I suddenly wondered why would a bird need to go anywhere?  What's the big important event happening that a crow is like, "I better mosey along thataway!"  

And then it suddenly struck me-- That's why the phrase is "As the crow flies"!  Vultures and most birds of prey are usually circling high overhead, sparrows are darting and swooping all over the place, and robins seem content to hop wherever they're going.  But a crow is usually going straight to wherever he wants to get to.  

It was such a dumb thing to suddenly understand.  But it made me laugh to myself.



No comments: