Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Standards

My Mom is a pro at loading the dishwasher. If there were an Olympic event for cramming every single possible dirty dish into a dishwasher, my Mom would win, no contest. They wouldn't even need judges or scores or anything, she'd just win. When we were kids and we landed “dishes” on the chore chart, we were never allowed to start the dishwasher until Mom had had a chance to inspect and add whatever dishes we’d either missed or didn’t think there was room for. Even this last time my parents visited me here, I was still impressed with how much my Mom managed to put into my tiny dishwasher (I would have just done two loads—- what a waste!).

I don't think I have any hope of ever rising to my mother's level in this department. However, I have discovered my own little quirk when it comes to doing dishes. I HAVE to have the spoons separated. I HATE it when they’re stuck together, because then I just know that they didn’t get clean and I need to wash them all over again. I have this elaborate method of putting silverware into the little silverware pockets so that the spoons are never allowed to find each other and, well, spoon. We all have to have our own standards for these things.

1 comment:

Natalie R. said...

I absolutely agree. In fact, I remember once when Mom was inspecting my loading job, and I had proudly put all of the spoons together so they looked so nice and pretty. Mom explained what a bad idea it was to me, and now they never go together. ;0)