Monday, October 7, 2013

Days of Momness

It was Friday afternoon and I was hoping to take a nap.  (I hope to take a nap most days, actually, but Fridays are particularly brutal since Craig typically gets home around 11pm on Thursdays, meaning we don't usually go to bed until after midnight.)  I'd been very productive all morning, putting away clothes that kids had outgrown, and washing and organizing the boxed-up hand-me-downs for my two younger sons.  And now I was ready for a nap.

Unfortunately, Ryder was not cooperating.  I'd put him down and hopped in the shower only to hear him banging on his door the entire time.  As soon as I was reasonably towelled off, I tried tucking him back into bed and hoped for the best.  No dice: he continued to thump around in his room.  But he was fairly happy in there, so I got all cozy in bed, opened my book and figured I could at least enjoy some quiet time, even if it didn't mean sleeping. 

It was while I was reading that I gradually realized that I was smelling baby powder-- one of those realizations where the full implication of it took a moment or two to sink in.  But as soon as it did, I was out of bed in a flash.  Even as I walked the ten feet (maybe?) from my side of the bed to the kids' room, I was filled with dread, and my worst fear was confirmed even before I opened the door: little whisps of baby powder were coming out from under Ryder's door.  Opening the door revealed an entire cloud, and a room absolutely COVERED in baby powder.


This was taken after I'd yanked Ryder out of the room and bathed him.  I didn't want him to see me snapping pictures in case he got the idea that he'd done something good.  You can see his footprints are half him walking and half me dragging him out of the room!


Note that you can hardly see the colored polka dots on the upper left-hand corner of the rug because there was so much powder on it.  There's even piles of it on the rungs of the bunk bed ladder!
So that was my Friday afternoon.  I spent it bathing Ryder and then vacuuming.  And vacuuming some more.  And then mopping.  And then still finding random places speckled with powder that I'd missed.

And their room still smells like baby powder.  But as my brother-in-law Ian pointed out, at least baby powder smells good!  Whatever would I have done if he'd found something stinky to spread all over?

2 comments:

Anne said...

Hahaha! I miss you!

Angela Okada said...

Oh my goodness!!!! That is soooo much baby powder! That takes talent to do that. ;-)