Saturday, September 6, 2014

Diplomat

We're finally potty training Ryder.  And I sure hate potty training.  I always put it off as long as possible (all that summer traveling made for a perfect excuse), mostly because I'd rather change a diaper than clean up a puddle (or worse!).  And I'd rather carry around diaper stuff wherever I go than have to suddenly drop everything and do the 30-second run through the store looking for a toilet (because when a 2-year-old says they need to go potty, they don't mean "soon" they mean "right now" or possibly "three minutes ago").  I think potty training is the worst thing about being a parent, and that's with labor and the public throwing of tantrums in the running.
Fun with darts
But, yes, we're finally doing it.  I seem to have developed some sort of whacked out technique wherein I start potty training, give up because it's so awful, and then force my kids to beg me to use the potty until I finally give in.  It's probably terrible parenting, but it seems to work pretty well.  I think it only works if your kid is nearly four, though.
And my Mom captured them taking that selfie

So that's where we are with Ryder.  He went all day yesterday without an accident, though, so that was good.  At one point, he was watching TV and I paused his show so he could take a bathroom break.  As I was following him up the stairs, he suddenly announced, "Mommy, I love you, but I don't need your help to go potty."

He wears his chocolate mustache well...

Well, then!  I guess my work here is nearly finished!

Where did he learn to talk like that?

Right after a trip to the barber's

3 comments:

Patrice said...

There's a lot to be said for late potty training. I can't believe Ryder's comment that he loves you but doesn't need help in the potty. Such a cute, cute boy!!!

Laura said...

I am right there in the potty training trenches with you! It is definitely one of my least favorite things to have to do. Good luck!

Natalie R. said...

Ha ha, I love your quote about him not needing help (but he still loves you), that's awesome!! And I'm a huge believer in waiting for potty training!! It drives me crazy when I hear, "My kid has been potty trained for almost a year, and s/he only has a couple of accidents a day!" My thought is that if they're still having accidents regularly, they're not potty trained.... Good luck with it!!!