Monday, November 10, 2014

Integration

We've been living in Virginia for eight years now.  And that's at least five years longer than we thought we'd be here for.  And as of this writing, we have no plans to leave, so I imagine we'll be here for some time yet to come.  Virginia has become home and we love it here.  And while the traffic is horrendous, and I wish the cost of living was lower, I figure everywhere has something not to love, so I try not to dwell on those things (mostly I try to avoid ever driving towards or away from DC during rush hour), and just be happy where I am.

And that's not very hard in this case.  Because the things I love about Virginia far outweigh those negatives.  I love having Costco and Cafe Rio so close by.  I love that the principal at my kids' school will give me a hug when she knows I've had a bad day.  I love that I've got good friends here (although I do mourn for the many, MANY good friends who have moved away-- you know who you are!).  I love having my in-laws close by and willing to babysit so often for us (and when we're really lucky, babysit our kids and then buy us dinner!).  I love my little house with its fun backyard (and chickens) for the kids.  I love that we just discovered that there's a Chuy's close by, even if it hasn't worked out to eat there yet.  (Seriously, all this time I thought we had to go to Houston to get that kind of Tex-Mex!  Who knew?!?!)

But.  (And you knew there had to be one.)  I'm a little worried about the effect this state (sorry, "commonwealth") has had on my language skills. 

Because recently I've noticed myself using the phrase "you all" and occasionally whittling it down to just "y'all."  And the other day I'm pretty sure I told Bentley to "quit yer hollerin'."  And while I think I started out using these phrases because I was being ironic, I'm not sure it still is any more.

What's happening to me?

2 comments:

Donna Smith said...

Oh, Alanna, I do love your blog. You make me laugh, even after a seminary class that was less than stellar. Have a happy day.
Donna
Y'all are such a great family!

Liz said...

You don't have to worry until you start saying "All y'all" ;)