Saturday, April 18, 2015

Bainbridge!

While I was playing with my friend and we were taking pictures of our cute babies, Craig and my sister were left with the remaining seven children.  Normally I would say that this was cruel and unusual punishment, but playing with your cousins (who you haven't seen in six months) is always awesome:

Caleb and Ryder are totally engrossed in their trains

Bentley tries out Samuel's ninja costume
 
 Once I finally returned, though, it was time to drive to my parents' house on Bainbridge Island!

If I've never said so before, I want it on the record here that I absolutely LOVE Bainbridge Island.  We moved there when I was 5, and I'm sure I never appreciated it growing up.  I mean, I liked the island just fine, I certainly never had a problem with it.  But it took going away to college to really understand what a lovely place it is.  Most of the homes are tucked out of sight in the trees.  Any time you go anywhere, very specific directions were required or else you were sure to be lost, picking and choosing long gravel driveways (usually with multiple homes along the many branches of that driveway) at random and hoping that luck would help you find your destination.  You'll catch glimpses of the Puget Sound all around, and occasionally Mount Rainier or the mighty Olympics (which manage to be covered in snow pretty much year-round, rendering them much prettier than any non-snow-covered mountain), and of course, downtown Seattle with its skyscrapers and ... 

It's one of my favorite places in the whole world.

So it was delightful to be returning.

We mostly just ate dinner and went to bed.  But the next day we managed to walk all of the kids down to the park closest to my house, Faye Bainbridge.  It was a bit chilly, which was unfortunate, since the weeks before had been quite warm, but it was still nice to be on the water again!



Ryder wrapped his blankie around his neck for warmth, and it ended up looking quite debonair...


And finally, my favorite picture from that day:

Kendra throwing rocks into the water

It was good to be home again.

1 comment:

Patrice said...

It was so good to have you home again!