Thursday, July 15, 2021

Summer 2021 Travels

So in case you couldn't guess, I've been out of town for the last couple weeks.  We flew out to Redmond, OR on June 27th and just returned on July 12th.  And let me tell you-- this is a weird time to be flying!  And if you're trying to fly from one small airport to another small airport, then good luck.  The airline changed our flight TWICE-- once they added a second layover (prompting me to call them yelling and screaming until they finally offered to upgrade our seats from economy to economy plus), and THEN they changed the duration of that second layover from one hour to SIX.  At this point I just countered by changing our flight to a totally different day.  They then texted me 10 hours before our flight, informing me that the first leg of our flight had been delayed two hours, meaning we would absolutely miss our connection.  So that was a fun thing to discover at 11pm the night before your cross-country flight!  (And just for the record, there was no reason for the delay-- no weather issues or anything.  They just didn't want to bother with it, I think.)

After 2 hours on the phone (and more yelling and screaming) very late into the night, we finally just drove to Dulles and flew from there, rather than flying out of Charlottesville.  We only had to leave 30 minutes earlier than planned, and I felt very fortunate that we were flying early Sunday morning when DC traffic tends to not be a problem.  But I can't even begin to tell you how angry the entire thing made me.  

After all that mess, the actual flights went very smoothly.  I don't really mind wearing a mask when I'm just sitting staring at my phone (as opposed to, say, trying to talk to someone or sing with the primary kids), so the masks weren't a problem.  The flights were fine (other than being seated in the back row next to the toilets-- gross).  When we landed in Redmond, we were extremely pleased to discover that our rental car was available even though we were a day early (and despite repeated attempts to change my reservation to our new arrival date!), so that was very nice.

Waiting to gate-check all our carry-on luggage

Our trip corresponded with a massive heat wave on the west coast, so that was a little unfortunate, but honestly, 111℉ in the high desert isn't too different from 90℉ and humid.  And it cooled down a LOT at night.  So we survived that just fine!

The purpose for this trip was to celebrate my parents' 50th wedding anniversary (!!!), so ALL my immediate family was there and it was so wonderful getting to spend time with everyone!  We were meeting up in Sunriver, Oregon, which is where we frequently vacationed while I was growing up.  But since the last time I went was when I was pregnant with Bentley, it was very exciting for me to show it to my own children.  

This is from my last trip:

We were all so much younger 15 years ago!  (And look-- I was 6 months pregnant!)

And there were only 10 of us then!

Now there are 27 of us!!!  How's that for AWESOME???

Anyway, I'll be blogging about this a lot in the days to come.  Consider yourself warned!

No comments: