Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Disappointment in the Kitchen

You know you're lazy when your back hurts from laying down too much. In my defense, I was sick today. But that doesn't mean I can't get Lucille Bluth's voice out of my head purring to her daughter that her twin brother had called her, "'A stay-in-bed mom...' Probably because you're lazy and you don't work. His words! Not mine..."

Yup. That was me today. The good news was that I didn't have much of anything going on today, and the kids mostly let me get away with being sick. This would have been worse if I'd had to cancel any big plans for the day. The bad news is that Craig is even worse off than I am, so I still got to be in charge of feeding the kids and putting them to bed. He did, however, conveniently schedule a doctor's appointment for himself tomorrow within ten minutes of Kendra's 4-year-check-up, so I guess we'll have a nice family outing in the morning!

The really annoying thing about all this is that I can't help but blame it on the awful dinner I made last night. Last night's dinner was so sad. I've said before on this blog that my cooking has come a long way since I first got married (when I knew how to make about three dishes, and they all served no less than 12 people). I can make breads and soups from scratch (the key is as much sour cream, heavy whipping cream, and cheese as you think your arteries can handle!), and desserts and all kinds of stuff now. I can even sometimes have it all ready at the same time! So I've also gotten more confident in my ability to spot a yummy recipe. But boy did I fail with this one.

It sounded so good: Thai vegetable curry. Doesn't that sound delicious? And it was from Dr. Fuhrmann's book, so it was healthy, too! Now, at this point, I should probably admit that I did not follow the recipe exactly. Usually when I'm trying something new, I follow it to. the. letter. That way, if I don't like it, I don't have to second-guess myself, wondering if it would have been better if I'd made it properly. So I didn't give Dr. Fuhrmann the chance I usually would give him. But in my defense, I have no idea where to find watercress (so I left it out) or Vegi-Zest seasoning (so I did what I usually do for that, and used a little bit of Mrs. Dash instead). I also used a little extra coconut milk, because I figured why not?

And this recipe was a pain. It called for a ton of ingredients (eggplant! bamboo shoots! watercress! coconut milk!) AND a bunch of fresh spices (mint! basil! cilantro!) so it was expensive to put it all together. And I had to do a lot of chopping, washing, and making rice. Expensive and it took a long time.

But I was excited to try it. I was even willing to inflict peanut butter on Craig for this one (he says this is the other reason he feels lousy today-- guess I can't pull that little trick any more)! I spent money like we had it and slaved away in the kitchen and sat down excitedly to eat this meal. And with the first bite I realized that it tasted...

...like

...nothing.


Seriously. It tasted like absolutely nothing. How could all those ingredients add up to no flavor whatsoever???

I was so disgusted I only ate half of what was on my plate. Then I turned to cereal for a little comfort. And flavor. I couldn't even count on Craig eating the leftovers (thanks to the peanut butter), so I just threw it all away.

What a waste.

So then when I got up this morning and realized that I couldn't stay vertical without feeling dizzy, I went from being disappointed to being utterly disgusted with this meal. When I was at my worst, I couldn't even type out the words "Thai vegetable curry" to Craig without wanting to throw up.

Down with Thai vegetable curry!!!! Down with watercress and coconut milk! I hate you all. Never will I waste my precious time and money on you again.



Okay, I'm finished now. I'm going to go lay back down again.

7 comments:

Erin said...

I hate it when that happens. The other day we tried a vegetable quinoa pilaf. Sounded good, all the ingredients are wonderfully delicious items. And it tasted nasty. I think it would've been completely flavorless except I followed some reviewers' suggestions. But it was still nasty tasting. I threw all leftovers away immediately. But thankfully we didn't end up sick after that meal. Hope you're all feeling better soon!

Vangie said...

This is why I stick to the same old recipes....I really should be more adventurous with my cooking, but I just can't bring myself to wasting a dinner.

)en said...

Man, is there anything more disheartening than fails in the kitchen. I feel your pain. This is why I can't move. I can't make good Thai (have not even tried) but must have it in my life. feel better!

Nancy said...

I've had a hard time finding a thai recipe that has enough flavor(even with all the stuff added)! I made a Panko chicken the other night (my mom made it for me this summer, but couldn't find her recipe so I had to look one up online) and it had no flavor what.so.ever. I'd been looking forward to it all week. Bleh.

ugkuyg said...

Hahaha, stay-in-bed mom, I forgot about that one.
Why is it always the meals that you slave away on for half the day that turn out bad? All that work for a crappy dinner. I get so mad when that happens.

Liz said...

Woah, making thai food from scratch is indeed dedication. But it's also crazy. :) The secret to making decent Thai food at home is to cheat!! Look for "Thai Kitchen" spice pastes -- they're in glass jars with a red wrapper, and around here Safeway carries them.

http://www.thaikitchen.com/

The Green Curry Paste makes excellent curry, especially if you add some spicy peanut sauce too. Highly recommended. :)

Hope you feel better!!
Liz

Natalie R. said...

There's this Chicken Florentine Lasagna dish that looks SO good in our cookbook! I made it once, and it had absolutely no taste. I thought I must've done something wrong, because it sounded and looked SO good!! So I made it again, and it still had no taste and was just so awful trying to eat that neither Cameron or I finished our plate. I think I wrote in the cookbook something along the lines of, "DON'T TRY AGAIN!!"