Sunday, March 11, 2012

A Look That Says It All

Story Time!

I mentioned that while I was in L.A., I got to visit my friend Shaun. He runs a retirement home, so he took me on a quick tour of it, showing me the various improvements he'd been working on. As we went, he explained that one resident had complained bitterly when Shaun changed the way the dining room was run. Apparently this guy was NOT HAPPY when Shaun 1) stopped the policy of having bagged dinners, 2) changed their entrees so that there were now two choices instead of just one, and 3) added a salad bar. I'm not sure why anyone would complain about ANY of those changes, but some people are very hard to please, apparently. And don't like change. Ever. To make matters worse, this guy voiced his opinion by posting a nasty letter of complaint that-- among other things-- called Shaun a Nazi. And the guy put up copies of his letter all over the entire home. Nice.

Anyway. He was sitting in the lobby as we wandered around, so Shaun pointed him out and told me the whole story. When we passed through the lobby again, this man stopped us and asked if Shaun and I were related. We exchanged that awkward, "We don't look alike at ALL, do we?" glance, and explained that No, we're just old friends. At this, the man told us that the reason he'd asked was because we had "the same vague, yet determined" looks in our eyes.

I can honestly say that NO ONE has ever said that about me! I can't decide if I should be more complimented or insulted by it, but every time I try to make up my mind, I just end up laughing too hard to care.

I wonder if I could put that on a resume some day.

Vague, yet determined.

That's me! (And Shaun, too, apparently!)

1 comment:

Vangie said...

What an odd comment...I like the determined part....the vague can be good - just means you are mysterious. Who doesn't like a little mystery?