Thursday, February 14, 2013

Eye of the Beholder

A few years ago, my aunt gave my kids a series of books published by the Metropolitan Museum of Art-- one about shapes, ABCs, colors, and numbers.  Being something of an art snob, these delighted me.  So much so that I occasionally have a hard time sharing them with the kids because I'm worried they'll damage such pretty books.

I have a LOT of favorites in these.  Some are pretty obvious-- if it's by van Gogh, Monet, or Degas I'm kind of obligated to love it.  Lots have been new to me.  Like this one, Onions and Tomato by Mary Ann Currier:

I know not everyone loves a still life.  They aren't a particular favorite style of mine, either, although taking humanities 202 did help me at least appreciate them a bit more.  But I LOVE how beautifully Currier painted that onion on the far left.  It's so translucent, it almost glows.  Who knew an onion could be so lovely?  Here's a close-up (only slightly pixelated) for your viewing pleasure:



Seriously!  Isn't that one gorgeous onion???

And now this painting has completely warped me, because every time I chop up a white onion, I have to think of this painting and how beautiful something as simple as an onion can be.

I figure that's probably the highest praises a painting can receive-- it succeeds in showing you beauty in an everyday, simple thing.  Right?

Well done, Currier.  I applaud your still life.

2 comments:

Patrice said...

Agreed about the onion-it's amazing. But the piece de resistance is the Revereware pot in the background- does it remind you of your childhood kitchen??

Erin said...

I have those books on my wishlist for Malcolm! And, yes, the onion is very well done.