Monday, March 3, 2014

Guess Who is 6 Years Old?

The observant, slightly stalker-ish reader may have noticed that Kendra's birthday passed without mention on the old blog, but never fear, I am remedying that right now!

So, yes, my little girl is a big 6-year-old now! And that seemed to call for a party. I'm not exactly a big party-planning person, but a quick scan of Pinterest yielded a couple games that wouldn't require too much craftiness or taking out a second mortgage on the house, so we went ahead and formed a plan.  The theme was Pizzas and Ponies, so the kids worked on making mini pizzas while everyone was still arriving, and then we played Pin the Tale on the Pony:




Eating their pizzas shortly before cake time
Using a hula hoop to lasso things

And then playing "Magic Rocks," which doesn't have much to do with ponies, but is a very fun easy game that kids love!

I take great pleasure in making my kids wear goofy party hats.  This is especially fun and easy right now because they're all perfectly willing to play along.  It's gonna get harder once they're teenagers...

I love how Bentley is sporting this hat completely without irony or anger.  Ha!

Kendra received her very first Barbie doll, which horrified me.  I thought about returning it, since the gift receipt was included, but Craig thought that was being too mean.  My inner-feminist growled over it, though.
Even Colton got to wear a hat for a few seconds!

Later, Kendra received presents in the mail from family members


And a few days after that, we went to Culpeper so she could celebrate with Grandma and Grandpa


After she was done opening presents, we took her out to meet some horses, which was very exciting for this little horse-loving gal!


Unfortunately, after the horses, poor Kendra got sick.  Very sick.  So we had to curtail the festivities a bit.  Here she is sleeping it off on the couch.  Isn't she beautiful?

The next few days I could tell she was feeling better when she got excited for the presents she had opened, but barely looked at!

My little 6-year-old princess!


Happy birthday to my sweet, sweet Kendra! You are something special and we love you very much!

7 comments:

Patrice said...

Happy Birthday wonderful, 6 year old Kendra!!!!

Juliana said...

Happy Birthday, Kendra!

My mom refused to buy me Barbie's. (But they were soooo cool, so of course I wanted them!) In preschool I was sneaky and asked a (boy) friend's mom for a Barbie for my birthday (knowing full-well this was my best chance at getting one in my lifetime). The mom was excited to oblige but my mom was mortified when I unwrapped it! (She was appalled both by my guile for outsourcing my request, and that we owned a Barbie.) My mom ended up relaxing about the Barbie ownership thing (I think I got several more as gifts, later) BUT she would never relax about the speech she would give me before I played with them. I can still hear and recite all of my mom's passionate feelings about body image, female proportion, fake hair and scary make-up eyes.

Patrice said...

I softened toward Barbie when I discovered Eskimo Barbie-she was so cute! (for my daughters that is) She came to an ignominious end when Kaiser got into the garage and left her with numerous wounds!

Anna said...

I had to laugh at the Barbie part. But hey, at least it wasn't a Bratz doll!

)en said...

Kendra's face is awesome. Was it so hard to hide your disdain?? I feel like is be like, "ohhh... Great.." Through a super fake smile.

ugkuyg said...

Haha I agree with Anna's comment. I dread the day when that happens to us!
I thought of you when I was writing my last blog post, you always appreciate a good birth story :)

Natalie R. said...

Happy birthday Kendra!!! I'm so glad that her party turned out so well and that her sickness didn't last long. I can't believe she's six already, so fun!! And I agree, at least it's not a Bratz doll. There are definitely worse things out there now... :-/