Friday, May 15, 2015

The Verdict

We had our home inspection yesterday.  This is kind of a big deal no matter what, but it was especially important because it was the first time Craig got to actually see our new home.  I knew he would love it, he trusted me he would love it, but we were both pretty anxious for him to finally see it, walk around inside it, and figure out if he did, in fact, love it.

So we were a tiny bit keyed up about the whole thing.  Craig couldn't even sleep the night before, he was so nervous. 

Craig had to stay in Charlottesville after the inspection to interview staff members, so we took separate cars there.  Craig got there a few minutes before me, and we talked on the phone as he was approaching it, giving me the play-by-play of his impressions of the place.  "Yup, driving by the jail right now...  Lovely barbed wire...  Ooh, I like the HOA pool, even if it is a little small...  Nice neighborhood, gorgeous view of tree-covered hills..."  Stuff like that.  Then he actually arrived and the home inspector and the real estate agent were there, so he got off the phone.

When I got there five minutes later, he greeted me with a big grin and a kiss on the cheek.  "You did really good finding this house," he told me.  "The rooms are a little smaller than I thought they would be, but I really like it."  (I wasn't lying when I blogged that the pictures made it look bigger than it really is!)  As he went upstairs with the inspector and got to see the plethora of bedrooms, the grin got wider and wider.

It took well over an hour before he finally made it to the basement (we had a very thorough inspector, which is a good thing!).  And the finished basement blew him away.  The rec room down there is really big-- it's the one room the photos didn't lie about.  And there's another room with a door to the outside that we have decided will be his workshop, and that was really the only thing he thought the house was missing.  Craig has declared himself officially sold on the house.  (Good thing since we already have a ratified contract!)

Last night, Craig again found himself unable to sleep.  But this time it was because he was so excited about our new house.

I knew he would love it.  I totally knew it.

But it's still a relief to be so right.

1 comment:

Patrice said...

Woohoo, that is great news! I can't wait to see your new home this summer!