Monday, October 8, 2018

Bentley's Talk

Hi, my name is Bentley Smith and I was asked to give a talk on how I can prepare for the second coming of Jesus Christ.  Before I begin I would like to say that I will be turning 12 tomorrow and I was this close to not having to give a talk.  I've heard that they held the primary program a week early just for me.  Thanks.

Now then, there are many ways to prepare for the second coming of Jesus Christ.  Some ways we can do this are by reading the scriptures daily.  I have been reading my scriptures daily for a while now and I just finished Alma.  Every night before I go to bed I read one chapter of my scriptures.  I think reading your scriptures before bed and, if you still go, before going to school is a good idea because then you can be prepared for the day that lies ahead of you.  In Alma it talks about how you need to keep your faith in the Lord.  In Alma 44:4, Moroni said to Zerahemnah, "Now ye see that this is the true faith of God; yea, ye see that God will support, and keep, and preserve us, so long as we are faithful unto him, and unto our faith, and our religion; and never will the Lord suffer that we shall be destroyed except we should fall into transgression and deny our faith."  I like this scripture because it reminds us that as long as we stay faithful to the Lord, we will not be destroyed.

Another thing you should do is pray every night.  I have been praying every night starting a while before I started reading my scriptures.  I read my scriptures and then say a prayer.  Praying is important because it is the only way you can communicate with Heavenly Father.  When you pray, you should thank Heavenly Father for everything and then you should ask for what you need.  Praying is a very reverent thing.  When my little sister says prayers, she just says the same thing over and over and over again.  Of course, she says it in different ways every time.  First she says thank you for this day and then she proceeds to say and please bless...  And then she names everyone in my family, sometimes including stuffed animals and our pet bunny.  When you say prayers you should not say the same thing over and over.  Sometimes I have to remind myself not to do this. 

Another way you can prepare for the second coming is by going to church regularly.  I go to church every single week.  Even when we are out of town traveling or something, if it's Sunday, Mom will pull over at a church and we will get out of the car and go to sacrament meeting.  Going to church is important.  When you're a kid you go to primary and learn the basic stuff like how to pray and how to sing some songs, etc, etc.  When you get older, I'm told you learn even more about the church.  I'll take their word for it.  When you go to church you also take the sacrament and when you take the sacrament you are forgiven of your sins.  Sometimes people miss a week and that's okay but when you start making a habit of it, it is not good.  Going to church is a very important part of being prepared for the second coming of Jesus Christ.  If you did not go to church you would not know how to prepare for the second coming of Jesus.  These are some ways to prepare for the second coming of Jesus Christ.

The reason we do these things isn't just to do them, it's to become better people and be more like our Heavenly Father.

I know these things are true and that Joseph Smith restored the church and Jesus will come again.

In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

No comments: