Friday, September 17, 2021

Crazy Weekend

This last weekend was WAY busier than I like things to be, but everything went fairly well and most of it was really fun, so I'm happy and exhausted now.  Friday morning Adam and I went hiking, which was delightful!  I was a little stressed as to how I hike without my children.  Do I need snacks if it's just me?  How long will this take if we don't stop to eat and catch our breath every twenty minutes?  Do I need to stop and catch my breath every twenty minutes???  My kids give me such an excuse for stuff like that!  But it was great: we did the 5.5 mile loop around Ragged Mountain and it only took a couple hours (it turns out I do not need snacks or a break)!  And the weather was perfect, just starting to get hot as we were finishing up.  

Then in the evening we all attended football games, with Kendra going to the Fluvanna game with a friend while the rest of us met up with Craig's parents at the Monticello game.  This required a fair amount of planning and driving Kendra around, but we managed.  As soon as we got to the Monticello game, Bentley ran off with his friends and we barely saw him, which felt delightfully age appropriate and made me very happy (even if we had to go back and pick him up, too, since the little kids couldn't get through the whole game and had to go home and go to bed).  Also, when we went to football games in the past, Craig was always working, so we barely saw him.  It was really nice to actually get to sit with him and enjoy his company for a change!  (And have his help putting super tired kids to bed afterwards!)

Saturday was our ward Day of Service, so Craig took Bentley and Kendra do to yard work for a friend who is very overwhelmed right now. 

Gotta love Bentley's muppet face!

Fresh mulch makes EVERYTHING look better!

I'd been planning on helping assemble refugee kits, but it turned out Ryder and Colton had their first baseball game at the same time, so that's where I wound up, despite my good intentions...  But they won their game and were very happy, so that was nice.  Camille divided her time between climbing a tree and playing with a new friend, so everyone had a good time.  

Then Craig had to go help out with a funeral and I ran around like a crazy person getting my house tidied up and trying to get the kids to actually help (it had been clean the day before, I honestly don't know how my kids destroy everything so quickly?).  Craig's parents arrived at 4 and we left straight away and drove to Wintergreen, a local ski resort, and met up with Sarah and Tracy (and Nate and Joe) to see Sarah's first professional play (as opposed to community theater) that she music directed, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat!

It's kind of fun (and only slightly terrifying) to ride the ski lift to the stage!

A couple years ago they did The Sound of Music, which is about the most perfect play to perform in the mountains ever!

Anyway, the show was very fun, and hanging out with Sarah and Tracy afterwards was even MORE fun!  (All the men watched BYU crush the U of U, so a splendid evening was had by all!)  We didn't even get home until 1am, so getting up for church the next morning was rough.  And then I went straight from church to a neighborhood baby shower.  I feel like I mostly see these ladies at the pool so it was a little fun to show up actually wearing makeup with my hair done and cute shoes for a change!  How shallow of me is that?  And the baby shower was one of the more hilarious ones I've ever been to-- the first game they had pictures of huge tummies and you had to try and guess if those were pregnancy bellies or beer bellies.  And then it got dirtier from there...

After that I hurried home to take a nap (bliss!), and then drove the airport road chapel to help set up for our stake relief society activity.  This was an activity that was originally meant to be held in April of 2020, so it was very exciting to finally make it happen!  We were reading from the book The Hundred Dresses, and talking about kindness and actually helping one another.  And we collected a whole bunch of dresses for a local charity.  (We also had lovely cookies from a bakery that were decorated as dresses, and we'd folded origami dresses that were attached to water bottle.  WAY more decorating than I normally do!)  It was a lovely evening and I thought everything came together really well.  
I'd folded a whole bunch of these a year and a half ago so it was nice that they were finally put to use!

So, yes, busy weekend.  The kind of weekend where you wake up Monday morning and think to yourself, "But I still need a weekend!"  But I'm so pleased with how well everything went, I really can't complain!

No comments: