Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Mad Skillz

Many years ago, I tried to make bread bowls and they didn't rise properly.  We called them bread plates and they were the saddest things ever.

From then on, I always just bought bread bowls from Panera.  But those are a little bit on the pricey side, so I would only buy two, for me and Craig, and then I'd get cheap rolls for the kids.  And that worked pretty well!  Until the kids started eating more and getting jealous of our bread bowls.  And the economy tanked and inflation shot up and our monthly budget became a pipe dream that we laugh-cry about at the end of each month.  {Sigh}

Anyhoo.  In an effort to save money, this month I decided it was time to attempt making bread bowls again, to go along with my favorite potato chive soup.  And miracle of miracles-- they turned out beautifully!  Huzzah!  I should have taken pictures.

So we're eating dinner and the kids are very excited to finally each get a bread bowl.  Camille started to dish up some more soup for herself and I stopped her and told her to let Dad do it.  I worked too hard on this meal to let her somehow mess it all up.

(I should explain that I HATE dishing up for the kids, so, since I do all the work of making dinner, we decided that dishing up for everyone could be Craig's job.  And that makes everyone happy.  So he sits near the middle of the table so he can reach everyone and everything, while I sit at the head so I'm not in his way.  So, yes.  Dishing up = Daddy's job.)

Craig pours some more soup into Camille's bread bowl and promptly spills it all over the outside of the bread bowl and the inside of the real bowl.  So everyone started laughing.  And then five minutes later, he tried to dish up more for Colton and this time he managed to drop the entire bread bowl into the pot of soup.

The kids were dying.  Craig was dying.  We haven't laughed that hard in a long time.  The bread bowls were a success, but the family laughing together was priceless.

I'm not taking over serving everyone's food.  Yet.  But I should probably be thinking about it.  

No comments: