Thursday, February 9, 2023

New Gigs

So usually when I'm working for Adam, that means I'm helping with a wedding.  But not always!  This last week, he asked if I wanted to help him out at a birthday party...  for a one-year-old!

Apparently when your grandfather is a billionaire, you celebrate birthdays differently than the rest of us.  And if your mom could have died in labor (she needed 3 units of blood) and then you had to have open-heart surgery just 5 weeks after you were born...  well, then they REALLY go all-out for your birthday!

So this party had 150 guests and involved a DJ, an open bar, two huge bouncy castles, a florist, two caterers, and a mechanical bull.  And it was held in Grandpa's private event barn.  Obviously!  Rich people-- they're just like the rest of us!

Adam wanted me to get there early and help set up the balloon arches, but I can't tie balloons off to save my life (I told him this, but I don't think he believed me), so I finally had to give this task to Bentley and Kendra.  And they did a great job!  I busied myself inflating various ponies and stick horses that tied into the theme of horse racing.  (The birthday boy was wearing an adorable jockey outfit.  And the enormous fluffy dog that probably cost more than my car had a special collar that looked like a tiny jockey was riding him!)

They were very proud of their balloon arches, so we had to take lots of pictures!




This makes me laugh

The party went well and everyone seemed happy!  It was nice that it ended around six, so Kendra and I were on our way home by 7:30 or so.  MUCH earlier than a wedding!  (Bentley had helped with set up and then got to drive around picking up food for the party, so once he was done with that, he got to go home.  He'd also put together gift bags the night before.)

Once most of the guests had left, I went ahead and took a turn riding the mechanical bull.  I figured I would probably never get such a great chance and you just don't turn opportunities like that!  I fell off almost immediately-- that thing is super slippery!-- but now I can say I've tried!  (There was one guest who was clearly an equestrienne and managed to stay on for a full minute, waving her hand most of the time.  It was extremely impressive!)

And I have no pride, so yes, go ahead and laugh at me:

I did chat with the rich grandfather for a few minutes at the end.  He was very friendly.  But he did not offer me any extra money, other than the hourly rate that I'd earned.  Weird, right?  But I was lucky-- Adam had offered to do this as a favor when it was just supposed to be a small family affair!


When I got home, I discovered that Craig had fixed our ice maker AND organized my pantry!!!  But he says this does not mean I should keep working Saturdays.  (Craig is really sending me some mixed signals here...)

No comments: