Monday, September 28, 2026

Quick Bentley Update

Since he turned 20 (!!!) last week, I guess I should give a quick update on Elder Smith!

The short version is that he's doing great!  About a month ago he got transferred to his third area, St. Croix, and he's absolutely loving it there!  His companion, Elder Thompson, is from Silverdale (that's my stake!) and they seem to be getting along great.  He's enjoying not having to try and speak Spanish.  And he's meeting a lot of really cool people.  It's been awesome.

In case you aren't on Bentley's emailing list, I've saved his letters at eldersmithpr.blogspot.com.  He doesn't write that often, but when he gets around to it, he's pretty hilarious.  (Since a bunch of other people have said that, too, I don't *think* this is just a case of me being a proud mama?)  And he posts pictures here!  They're mostly himself picking up random animals he finds, which cracks me up.  What a goofball.  But seriously, I've never seen him so happy.  And that just makes me so happy.

Here are a few of my favorite pictures, just because I can't help myself!

Since he and his companion can't fly all the way back to PR for Zone Conference, they have to zoom in.  This also means they miss out on the awesome food provided at ZC, so instead, they get to buy themselves dinner on the mission credit card.  This time, they very carefully chose a sushi restaurant they'd heard good things about and...  proceeded to order a hamburger and BBQ chicken???  Teenage boys are so strange!!!  (Also, did they purposely match their ties???)

Look who found a turtle!

And a cat!

And a chick!
The plane that took him to St. Croix.  Those are Bentley's knees jutting up against the pilot's seat.  Nothing to see here, folks, this is super safe!

This lil guy is so cute!

Bentley's caption: elder oso (that's "bear" in Spanish) is still working on the word of wisdom (what's really funny is that they have the cigarette backwards, and Craig had to point that out to me, because I didn't even notice!) 😂
Cute puppy!!!

Is this guy even smaller than the last one???

Why is this very small horse just out and about?  Oh-- I guess it has a rope keeping it there.  
Clearly AI generated to look like it's a page out of Preach My Gospel.  I shouldn't enjoy this, but seriously, it's so wildly inappropriate!!!  I couldn't stop laughing!!!

They got up early and went to the eastern most point of the island so they could be the first Americans to see the sun that day!
Happy birthday, Bentley!!!  Keep rocking it as a missionary!!!!

No comments: