Monday, November 15, 2010

Not to Obsess Too Much, But...

I was talking with a friend who is also pregnant with her third kid. She's still very early in her pregnancy and she asked me if I-- like her-- occasionally forgot that I was pregnant. It was a startling question, because my answer was a resounding, "Yes! ...But not any more." Those first few months it was so easy to forget. I had to keep reminding myself that something so special was happening inside me. And Craig could forget for days at a time.

But, like I just said, not any more.

And the more I thought about this, the more I realized that right now (and for the last few months now) Being Pregnant has morphed into my state of being. Yes, I am a mother, a wife, a sister, a daughter, a friend. I have hobbies and responsibilities and thoughts and so many things that fill my days. But right now, above all else, I am expecting, with child, pregnant, filled to bursting with baby. I hardly feel like there's room-- both physically and emotionally-- for anything else.

And naturally, this reminded me of a poem, which I now have to share with you!

Metaphors by Sylvia Plath

I'm a riddle in nine syllables,
An elephant, a ponderous house,
A melon strolling on two tendrils.
O red fruit, ivory, fine timbers!
This loaf's big with its yeasty rising.
Money's new-minted in this fat purse.
I'm a means, a stage, a cow in calf.
I've eaten a bag of green apples,
Boarded the train there's no getting off.


That's me, these days.



P.S. It just occurred to me that when I had Kendra (and Bentley), I didn't blog. So I have no idea what my blogging will be like once Lucky arrives. I'll still try to stick to my original rules, but I suspect that to all of you who aren't grandparents, things will take a decided turn for the "way too many baby pictures, not nearly enough interesting stuff." (But then again, I may have already done that...) What can I say? Sorry! It's hard to think of other things to write about when there's only one thing on your mind, as evidenced by my last four posts!

2 comments:

Natalie R. said...

Ha ha, no worries - I think it's okay to write about your kids. After all, a blog is supposed to be about whatever you're doing and thinking about. Those first few months of having a new baby, it's hard to think about anything else because the baby is taking up all of your time!!!

Nicole said...

ha. i'm definitely guilty of sliding into "baby blog" territory. oh well. having a baby is hugetime, and i agree with naf--it's hard to do or think about much else for the first few months!