Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Compliment

I am not hip.  I do not know what's cool.  And I'm totally okay with that.  I feel like your Cool Card is confiscated as you leave the hospital with your first baby (possibly even as early as when you see that "+" sign, although certainly some teenagers out there remain in denial about that aspect of their forever changed lives).  And honestly, I doubt I was very cool even before that, so it wasn't a huge loss.  And, as an uncool person, I'm aware that I know very little about what's happening in the music scene.  If a song is current and I actually know it, it's probably thanks to either Craig or Glee.  But thanks to those two sources, I know a fair share of what's on the radio these days, certainly more than I did when I was in college and rarely watched TV or drove anywhere!

So it was kind of fun last week when Craig announced that he had a new song to play for me and I had already heard it!  And it wasn't even on Glee (yet)!

The song was "Roar" by Katy Perry.  Now, I'm not really a fan of Katy Perry.  It's not that I actively dislike her, I just don't see the point.  Of her.  I mean, she's not a great dancer or a great singer, and I doubt she writes her songs.  So why is she a famous performer?  Why can't we just have Lea Michele sing all the stuff Katy Perry wants to sing, since she can take a nice pop song and make it kind of beautiful?  Katy Perry just feels superfluous.  At least, if I was a songwriter, I'd take all my stuff directly to Lea!

And the song "Roar" is not spectacular, but it's catchy enough.

I was explaining all this to Craig when he said, "I just kinda liked it 'cuz it reminded me of you."

From the chorus:
I got the eye of the tiger, a fighter, dancing through the fire
Cause I am a champion and you’re gonna hear me ROAR
Louder, louder than a lion
Cause I am a champion and you’re gonna hear me ROAR



That might be one of the best compliments I've ever received.

So, yeah, Roar.  I sort of have to love it now.

2 comments:

Jen Evans said...

I heard this on Pandora and also kind of liked it. I don't know why it doesn't get more air time.

Patrice said...

Hey Tiger Daughter-roar!!