Thursday, August 22, 2013

Thoughts from Stake Conference

*I wrote this back when we had Stake Conference, in May.  I have no idea why I didn't publish it at the time, but I just found it and liked it.  So I'm publishing it now.  Better late than never, right?



-I still have a hard time sitting still for two hours.  Asking my kids to do it just seems ridiculous.

-Funniest line ever was when I was out in the hall with all the big kids and found myself saying to Bentley, "No, we need to get back to our seats.  Daddy is going to open his eyes and wonder where we all went!"  Some man helping his kid get a drink of water heard that and burst out laughing.  Oops.

-But while I'm on the topic, Craig and Colton did manage to have a nice nap together.  It was cute.  I resisted the urge to take pictures.

-New Stake President!  And the man they picked used to be the first counselor in the stake presidency.  I absolutely adore him, so I was kind of excited.  Craig just felt sorry for him.  As he put it, "That's twenty years!  You get less time serving for murder!"

-Aaaaaand, the new 1st counselor in the stake presidency is our former bishop, Brother Goodfellow.  He's another person I absolutely adore, so it was exciting to see him up on the stand, too.  President (!) Goodfellow once gave one of the best talks I have ever heard in my entire life.  I will forever love him for that talk alone.

-When Bentley was a baby, I sort of resented all the times I had to leave the room to go nurse him-- whether it was church or a restaurant or whatever.  Nowadays, I'm pretty comfortable nursing in public, but during church I'll still use the mother's lounge (apparently there's a lot of controversy about that amongst other Mormon women-- maybe some day I'll write a post detailing all my thoughts about that).  Stake Conference was the first time that I realized how lucky I was to have an excuse to leave my three squirmy, loud, "big" kids with Craig so I could nurse my sweet baby to sleep.  It was awesome!  So peaceful and relaxing, I didn't want to go back!  I think that was the onlyh part of Stake Conference that I even really heard.  What a wonderful break it is to slip away so I can feed my baby!  Funny how much your perspective changes with your fourth kid...!

1 comment:

Jen Evans said...

I also think President Goodfellow is amazing. When I was rock bottom he read me a scripture about the Stripling Warriors that just about saved my life. And when I thought I wouldn't have any more children, he very specifically, and I know led by the spirit, told me that I WOULD have more children. Incredible man, wonderful family.
And I've been getting away with nursing in Relief Society. Rebel!