Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Free Range Kids

I am not a helicopter parent.  Sometimes that's something I'm proud of, and sometimes I'm a bit embarrassed by my laissez faire approach to parenting.  And-- like most things that matter tremendously to me-- there are times when I seriously question whether or not I'm doing it all wrong.

But deep down, I'm convinced that kids are meant to run free.  Probably a lot more than we allow them to.

Do I let my kids run free?  Heck, no.  The best they can hope for is playing in the backyard unsupervised, or in our next-door-neighbor's yard when I'm puttering around the house and can keep checking on them through the window.  But I want them to be able to run free eventually.

I grew up with 60 acres of woods behind my house, and the owner had told us he didn't mind a bit if we wandered back there, so it was pretty common for us to go on walks with our dog and just roam.  There were trails everywhere, abandoned strawberry fields, a lake, a ravine...  I don't think I went too awfully far without my Dad, and I'm sure I always had another sister or friend with me.  But we certainly spent plenty of time back there, completely out of sight and earshot from my Mom.  And it was fine.

Now here's the kicker: if I understand correctly, crime rates are actually lower now than ever before.  And the vast majority of children who are kidnapped are usually taken by a relative (often in cases where the parents have divorced).  So if anything, I should be less afraid of letting my kids out and about than my own mother was of letting me run free.

And for the most part, I am.

I'm pretty sure that if I let them walk home from school (especially Bentley and Kendra together!) they'd be just fine.  They know to look both ways before crossing the street.  Heck, the busiest scariest street they'd cross has a retired cop directing traffic and I'd trust my kids' lives with him in a heartbeat.  And they've known the way home for years now.  They wouldn't have any trouble walking home from school.  And quite frankly, it would save me the interruption of packing up Ryder and Colton and getting them to the school so I can wait around until my kids come out and then turn around and head right back home again.  Picking the kids up every day is kind of a big pain, it turns out.

So why don't I let them walk home?  That's easy: I'm afraid that I would get in trouble.  And articles like this tell me I'm right to worry-- we live in a society where people's "concern" manifests itself by reporting you to the authorities, not by actually helping you out or asking you if what you're doing is  a good idea and letting you explain yourself.  And once you have Child Protective Services involved, it often seems like your choices are limited to a) doing everything these government employees tell you to do or b) having your kids taken away from you.  And that's really not much of a choice now, is it?

So my parenting choices are being made not by what I think is best for my children, but by what I'm afraid of getting in trouble for.  Does anyone else think that this a terrible way to make decisions?  How am I supposed to teach my children independence when the government doesn't even trust ME to make decisions for their well-being?

5 comments:

Erin said...

Yup. Couldn't agree more. I used to let Gareth ride his bike on the sidewalk up and down our street. Where I could check to make sure I could see him out our front window as frequently as I thought I should. But toward the end of last school year he was on a new bike and a car was stopped partially out of a driveway. The bike didn't brake as well/quickly as he expected and he hit the car. The neighbor was quick to tell me that I should be taking him to the school playground to ride rather than letting him ride on the sidewalk. I'm sure she'd be aghast to learn that my siblings and I rode all over our neighborhood, on the street, at just a couple years older than Gareth. Since then I've been hesitant to let him ride, especially past her house. A few weeks later we were walking home from a friend's carrying a borrowed weedwacker. Gareth was carrying the weedwacker several feet ahead of myself and Malcolm and as I pass this woman's house I hear her saying, "Oh, there's his mom" to someone. So now I feel like this person is constantly looking over my shoulder and live with a small degree of fear that she'll call CPS on me for some stupid reason. Which is ridiculous. People critique parents for being "helicopter", but don't stop to think that the parents have been left no choice but to be that way.

W Hansen said...

I read this article today, and was trying to figure out what I did back when growing up, what is "allowed" now, and what I would like to happen for my kids. I was even thinking about when it's time for Dexter to school (we are within the walk zone). I feel like people now and in the media portray like elementary kids aren't even allowed to walk with just friends to school at any age. I don't feel this way, and will have to see what others do in our little neighborhood. I feel like they're a little more giving to free range-ness.
I feel like usually I'm a helicopter parent, but I do try to free range. It's a hard struggle.

)en said...

I feel like I'm a helicopter parent because I have just the one and no one else to occupy my attention. ha. But this is an interesting and apparently hot topic right now. My friend wrote an interesting article about her experience leaving her 7 year old home for a bit and the crazy backlash. Here's a link to the NYTimes article that includes a link to her original post:

http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/09/28/home-alone-at-7-safe-and-learning-to-stay-that-way/

Anne said...

I so totally and completely agree with this and I hate it!!

ugkuyg said...

It sounds like you've already read this article, but if not, read it. It's fantastic: http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2014/03/hey-parents-leave-those-kids-alone/358631/

I want to let Alta walk home from school by herself but I worry about what other parents would say. It's frustrating that I even care, and it's frustrating that there are people out there that think they know how to raise your kids better than you.