Saturday, January 10, 2015

Pre-Christmas Celebrating

There's always so much going on at Christmas time that this year, Craig and I made a list of all the things we were interested in doing, so we could be sure to hit the things that mattered to us.  That didn't make it any less crazy, but at least we felt like we were giving priority to what we actually wanted to do, and not just being pulled along every which way.  And we managed to check everything off our list, so I thought we did pretty well!  And yes, we took pictures of most of it, so here goes...


I already told you about getting to sing at the temple visitor's center.  While I was inside for last-minute rehearsals, Craig and his parents took the kids all around to see the beautiful lights and nativity:
The camel is always a favorite at the temple's life-size nativity

This was the best picture Craig could get of the whole gang.  It pretty much sums us up...
 And of course, there was plenty of fun right at home:
Ryder bringing Christmas cheer (the hat is actually Bentley's, so that made it WAY more attractive to Ryder)
Kendra as Santa Lucia
Colton playing with their nativity set.  I got all excited when he held up Baby Jesus and said, "Beebee!"  Then he held up the camel and said, "Beebee" again.  Maybe next year...!
Building a fort (ie, making a mess of my downstairs)
We try to make it to the Kennedy Center's Messiah Sing-Along every year, it's one of our favorite DC traditions.  This year, we thought Bentley and Kendra might be old enough to come along, too, so we asked if they wanted to.  Bentley decided to stay home with Grandma and Grandpa, but Kendra was game.  She enjoyed having some time with mommy and daddy all to herself (although I think she was a bit bored and tired by the time the concert actually started!).  Despite the fact that we kept her up four hours past her bedtime, she was remarkably well behaved the entire night and we had a great time together!

Waiting in line for our tickets, and making connect-the-dot pictures

Inside the Concert Hall
My sister Leah and her family were also able to come and visit for a few days.  This was especially wonderful because they were bringing their brand new baby who I had not yet met, so I was very excited to see this newest nephew of mine!  We had a wonderful time, mostly sitting around holding the baby and watching the kids play together.  Leah is a working gal, so it really was great to have so much time to spend just hanging out without her as busy as she usually is.  Unfortunately, I ONLY managed to take any pictures of the baby.  But trust me, Leah, Brian and Eliot (their 4-year-old) were all there, too!

If he likes napping on me, that makes me his favorite aunt, right?

Nestled up against my big tummy

And while they were visiting, Craig also had his annual baking extravaganza!  He likes to make up goodie plates for his home teaching families, and I usually manage to finagle a few for our friends, too.  He worked hard all day (and cleaned up as he went!) and ended up with some wonderful treats:
Salted caramel Rice Krispie treats, peppermint brownies, spritz cookies, and triple chunk cookies.  Wow.

Arranging plates to give to friends

More of Theo napping (on me) (because he loves me)
We also had our ward Christmas party.  This year they actually had a dinner (instead of the awful breakfasts our bishopric kept insisting on holding) and it was a bit more kid friendly.  I still wish we could have Santa at the party (what curmudgeon with grown kids decided he couldn't be included???), but whatever.  It was a better party than we've had in recent years, so I really shouldn't complain...
Ryder very soberly donned this whacky Santa headband

Colton was more excited about getting a chance to wear it

Keeping it classy here!

And Bentley's scout pack (which is affiliated with the Catholic Church) also had a party-- with Santa!!!-- so that made me and the kids very happy.  Why can't we be as much fun as the Catholics???
Playing with a stickers nativity

Bentley tries to remember what he wanted to ask for for Christmas.  (I think he asked for his own computer.  This kid is a dreamer!)


Ryder couldn't think of what to ask Santa for, but once his turn was done, he told me he wanted to ask for his own TV.  Like that's ever gonna happen!

We tried to throw Colton onto Santa's lap and the effect was instantaneous and hilarious: much screaming and trying to slide away in that way that only toddlers can manage.  So I picked him up and jumped into the picture.  At least I looked festive, too!

Kendra's Christmas cookie
That's all the stuff I took pictures of!  There was also lots of shopping and lots of eating.  And lots of just enjoying the holidays and being together as a family.

Next up, the big day itself!

1 comment:

Patrice said...

What an adorable family! All these photos were a delight!