Friday, January 22, 2016

Storm Prep

So if you're the type to watch the weather channel or if you live around here, you probably know that we're expecting a big winter storm today, dubbed Winter Storm Jonas.  There have been pictures of Wal-Marts with hardly any food left on their shelves because of everyone buying everything to stock up for the storm.  We got the call yesterday that school for today is cancelled.  Everyone is all scared and nervous about it all.

And I am, too.  I mean-- I have no idea how easily Charlottesville loses power or what to expect from this house if that happens.  (I suspect we will be freezing; this house is hard to heat even with power.  We do have a gas fireplace, so worst case scenario will involve all of us camping out in front of it.  But you can't really cook over a gas fireplace...)  A friend here worried that we might lose water.  Does that happen around here?  I have no idea.  And it's the not knowing what to expect that makes things a bit scary.

But I'm noticing that my storm prep has taken a slightly weirder turn today (as the snow flakes are just beginning to fall).  I've already been to the store, I think we're pretty well stocked in the food department.  Craig just hit Lowe's for a carbon monoxide detector and witnessed people buying five snow shovels at a time.  (Why would anyone need five shovels???) 

No, our storm prep has involved me cleaning the house.  Yup-- I've been vacuuming, starting laundry, and bathing the kids extra.  BECAUSE WHAT IF WE LOSE POWER?!?!?  Laundry piles up incredibly fast when you've got a family of seven (especially since several of those people regularly spill food on themselves and/or have leaky diapers).  And our floors get disgusting really fast.

So yes.  I'm cleaning.  Because there's a storm coming



Who have I become?

4 comments:

)en said...

Sooo funny. "who have I become?" all tiny. :D perfect. well done.

As usual, I am keeping tabs on that eastcoast storm and have been laughing for many reasons:

1) that i'm not there. hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

2) the classic fearmongering--It's almost endearing.

3) but also, and this is prob different for VA or places that don't typically get mountains of snow, but at least for NY, what--really? Do they really think people don't know how to handle a big snow?? And this doesn't look forecasted to be all that enormous. It's just so silly.

(I'm also a little jealous i'm not there. But mostly, hahahahahahaha!! SUCK-ERS.)

Still, best of luck, enjoy, and hope you don't lose power or water. (hahahahaha)

Erin said...

Ha, I'd never thought of cleaning the house as part of storm prep, but it totally makes sense! Especially if the kids have to be home all day for several days - yikes, things could get bad quickly if you don't start with everything clean. Despite the fact that we had water in a small part of our basement yesterday, I'm still very happy to just be here in rainy Seattle. My kids would love some snow, but I'm really okay without it. Your kids will have to enjoy it extra for mine!

Jen Evans said...

We stocked up on treats and milk to drink with our treats. And I cleaned and did laundry too bc what if you were in the middle of a load in the wash and your power went out for a week? Mold? Ice clothes? There's no telling what would happen.

)en said...

Alanna, are you alive?? Now I'm feeling bad about my jerky comment. Also hate missing out on extreme weather events.