Monday, July 28, 2008

Dilemma

So here's a random thing I always have to think about. It started when Bentley was first born and Mom and Dad were visiting me. I made a sandwich for myself and toast with jam on it for Mom. No big deal, right? When I handed Mom her toast, she pointed out that if I had been making this for Rachael, I wouldn't have wanted to use the same knife that I'd used for the peanut butter, since Rachael's allergic to peanut butter. I told her that I knew that, and that since she wasn't allergic, I hadn't worried about it. End of discussion.

But EVER SINCE THEN, I cannot make a peanut butter sandwich for myself without worrying that I might have conTAMinated the jam by sticking the PB knife into the jam jar! What if Rachael comes to visit and wants some jam? Will it make her tongue itch if she eats my jam??? Should I just tell her not to eat it at all??? And worst of all, each time I make a sandwich, without fail I ALWAYS put the peanut butter on the bread first, so that poor jam always gets it.

Fortunately, in the many times Rachael has hung out here, she has never once wanted to eat my jam. But that doesn't seem to stop me from worrying...

2 comments:

Natalie R. said...

Ha ha, that's hilarious, especially because I think about the exact same thing every time I make a PB&J sandwich. :0) We Bentleys are a bunch of worry-ers!

Rachael said...

Sad, I had no idea you both worried so much on my behalf! Thanks for watching out for me and my allergy. :)