Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Opinions

When it comes to drinking, I am an incredibly simple person. My beverages of choice are pretty much limited to water (cold water, that is. I want lots of ice included) and chocolate milk/milkshakes. If I'm eating something über-sugary-- like brownies or waffles-- I might wash it down with a glass of milk. Anything else and I'm probably not interested. Being Mormon severely limits your drinking options (most of which I sort of doubt I'd like anyway). And I hate anything carbonated with a passion.* I would nearly die of dehydration when I couldn't find bottled water and was forced to choke down something as simple as Fanta. And I'm definitely not a juice person. I can handle apple juice, but orange juice just tastes sour to me and cranberry juice makes me gag. And I always figure that water is probably healthier than anything, so why mess with what works?

Anyway. I bought a carton of orange juice the other day as a substitute for cooking sherry. I was trying out this fabulous Mongolian Beef dish (and I can't recommend it enough, by the way). So I needed 1/4 cup of orange juice. 1/2 a cup, if you count the fact that I made it again a few weeks later for everyone who was visiting me. Hardly worth buying an entire carton for, but it was cheaper than the sherry.

I'm now on my third carton of O.J., and my second glass of the day. Apparently someone else has a different opinion than I do about the stuff. It's good to know this baby is already strong willed. S/He will fit right in with this family. Besides, being a third child myself, I can tell you that if you don't have a few opinions of your own, you will probably get beat down into complete and utter insignificance by your older, more domineering siblings.

I already have a soft spot in my heart for this kid and we haven't even met yet!

My ultrasound is tomorrow!






*In high school whenever I would turn down a soda, it would inevitably lead to someone commenting on how Mormons can't drink Coke. And then I would have to explain that Mormons are fine drinking Coke, I just don't happen to like it at all. This drove me bonkers. Then I went to BYU and met super-righteous Utah Mormons who didn't drink Coke because it had caffeine in it. And I sort of wished I liked it just so I could shock those guys. Fortunatley, my sister Tracy drinks enough Coke for the both of us. Thanks for the shock value, Tracy! I love telling people I have a sister who's a coke addict! ;)

5 comments:

Erin said...

Congratulations, Alanna!

Jen Evans said...

I was downing a glass of milk while I read this. If you don't like juice, never ever drink grapefruit juice. My sister was on the grapefruit diet in high school (cheerleader) and I tried it once. It tastes like stomach acid. I also dislike cranberry juice, but if I mix it with grape juice it tastes much better. One part cranberry juice, two hundred parts grape juice. Just kidding.

Liz said...

I love grapefruit + cranberry juice! (Maybe I am just weird though. :o)

Actually don't babies move a lot with OJ because it's got sugar? (Especially if you usually only drink water or milk, OJ would be quite a jumpstart sugar-wise!) Or is that just an old wives' tale?

Also, and maybe I'll ask you this offline -- what's wrong with hot drinks? I understand not wanting to mess with caffeine and alcohol, but green tea and others are supposed to be good for lots of things!

Anonymous said...

So...I'm dying over here! Is it a boy or girl?? :o)

ps. Rachel does look beautiful. I like her dress!

Juliana said...

Also anxious for the boy/girl update! And I'm so delighted that Lucky is already flaunting some fun personality. How fun! :)

I still feel horribly betrayed by milk/dairy. After all those years of fierce loyalty, it turned out to be a key component in years of unique health problems! I may or may not mumble rude words just about every time I drive past a Got Milk billboard now. :(

However, I agree with you completely on carbonation. I've never been able to stand it. And I've never been very apologetic about it either. (Out of all my food/diet changes, adapting to pop has ever quite make the to-do list.)

I'm a pretty picky snob with what juices I like. This was never really a problem, because I've never really been a juice person. But recently, I've been loving OJ too (and I definitely do not have the same logical reasons you do!). You'll have to try Simply Orange. Best juice ever.