Thursday, October 18, 2012

And the Newest Little Pumpkin



...is a boy!!!


Our family as represented by pumpkins.  I don't know why this is so fun to do, I just know that I love doing it.


We had our ultrasound Monday and there was no mistaking it!  I have to admit that I am totally excited-- I really do think boys are a lot of fun.  And it turns out that I suck at doing anything with Kendra's hair, so that's one less thing for me to have to hassle with as we try to herd everyone out the door each morning!  (And I'll be honest-- I sort of hate those huge headbands with ginormous flowers that people keep insisting on sticking on their baby girls' heads.  But then I feel like some smug snarky brat for refusing to bother with them, so the whole situation makes me feel uncomfortable.  I'd rather just not bother with it at all!)

So we will be a 3 boys and 1 girl family.  I can think of at least three other families in our ward with the exact same ratio-- one of them even has the same order with their kids, so I sent that friend a text pointing out that we were just copying them.  She offered to have another kid so I would know what to expect next time around.  :)

The actual appointment was a bit crazy-- I'd been looking forward to this ever since it was scheduled a month ago, and barely even slept the night before.  I was so excited to see my baby!  So naturally, as we're driving to Reston, I get a phone call informing me that the ultrasound machine broke, and they would have to reschedule me for later in the week.  I stammered something about already being on my way and having babysitters, and shot Craig that "What do I do???" look.  He shot back, "Whatever.  I got the day off work for this.  You're getting your ultrasound."  So I relayed that information back to the guy on the phone.  I told him I was sure one of the other offices that did ultrasounds could fit me in today, or they could use one of their other machines and squeeze me in.  He said he'd see what he could do.

When we arrived, I asked him (same guy) if he had any guesses as to how long we'd have to wait.  My appointment was for 10:30.  "Well," he said, "We're here until 4:00, so I guess we'll get you in before then..."  Obnoxious.  I waved my book at him and told him I would be just fine and proceeded to sit down and read.

They saw us ten minutes later.

All that worrying for nothing!

But I'm glad for the experience-- it gave me more practice saying No.  And my meeting with the doctor is tomorrow, so I'm going to have to be tough (but also polite and friendly, well informed without being bratty or like I'm trying to tell the OB how to do his job...  you know, easy stuff!).  So wish me lots and lots of luck tomorrow!!!!


Oh, and one last note-- that blog that I like, Mama Birth, just posted about how difficult it is to get your way in a hospital.  Reading her post was almost spooky, it's like she was in the room with me while I was delivering Ryder!  If you still don't understand why I'm reluctant to go to a hospital this time around (and I know some of you out there think I'm nuts, even though you've refrained from saying so directly), read this.  Maybe you'll understand where I'm coming from better then.


And not to repeat myself too much or anything, but, YAY FOR MY LITTLE BABY BOY!!!  I'm so excited about him!

5 comments:

delilas said...

Congrads! I was betting you were having a boy child. Boys are great but they have their own issues too. Girls grow up to learn to do their own hair anyway so no worries. Kendra is not a big flower on the head person anyway.

Juliana said...

Horray! This is such happy news! :)

Patrice said...

I loved the pumpkins, especially the "baby" one!! You do a great job with Kendra's super-baby-fine hair!!
I'm super excited to be getting another grandson!!!

Erin said...

I'm totally in agreement with the ginormous head flowers. I just don't get the appeal of putting a flower larger than your kid's head on them.

Good luck at the doctor tomorrow! I can't believe you have to go talk with them to be able to use a birth center. That's just ridiculous. (Out of curiosity, why are they even able to say you can't do that? Is it an insurance thing? It just doesn't make sense on any level to me that you would have to ask permission to have your baby where you want to.) But you'll be awesome and totally convincing.

)en said...

Oh my! So much big news! I'm missing everything. Congrats to all on numero quatro! I hope you have the delivery of your dreams. And where's your pregnancy ticker? You know you want to put one up. ;)