Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Bentley Had a Birthday!

It actually happened a couple weeks ago, but Bentley turned 6! What a great age to be! This year we threw him more of a real party than last year (where the "party" just meant that I invited over a few friends to eat cake with us). Or at least, there was a theme to the party, so that means it was organized, right?

Now, me throwing a "themed party" is not exactly anything to brag about. I do hardly any work or preparation and just hope for the best.  Because I am both cheap AND lazy.  I spent a few minutes on-line looking for ideas, but when I came across things like "hire character actors!" and "build an ewok hut!" I knew I was completely out of my depth. So I closed all those windows on the computer and just bought some cheap glow-in-the-dark swords, called them light-sabers, and was done. Let the party begin!

Craig and I decorated the night before his party (which was not on his actual birthday), so the kids were excited to wake up and find decorations.  Ryder especially was so excited that I finally just carried him down the stairs, since he was so busy looking, pointing, and squawking about the whole thing that I was pretty sure he would fall down.

Nothing more exciting than waking up to balloons to play with!


Craig's decorating skills here

Hey, YOU try drawing R2-D2 free-hand with gel frosting!

All the friends came by a little after school got out.  It was a bit crazy:
Playing Hot Lava (I mean, pretending we're on Mustafar) with most of the party guests
First they had to complete an obstacle course.  When everyone passed that with flying colors, they were given their light-sabers and Jedi Training began:

Rule #1 for light-sabers: Absolutely NO hitting your fellow Jedis with one!

But attacking the fence (and trees, and one girl's older brother who inexplicably showed up) is totally okay

That is one determined look on Bentley's face.  It's only a little bit scary...  Right?

Opening presents from friends
On his actual birthday, we had another celebration with Grandma and Grandpa.  It was also a very happy day:

A very cool glow-in-the-dark and makes-all-the-appropriate-noises light-saber

Buried in toys and wrapping paper
After all the presents were opened, we went to dinner at Red Robin (which is the perfect combo of making the kids happy AND having real food!), and then Bentley and Kendra watched his new movie (Puss in Boots) while Ryder played with all the presents.
Ryder was almost as excited as Bentley was about these Batman gloves

And he REALLY got excited about the mask!

Ryder was gleeful as he practiced whacking Grandpa with a light-saber

Yeah, it's almost scary how much he loved this...!
I may not throw the coolest parties ever, but we still had a very fun birthday for my little boy.

Happy Birthday, Bentley!

2 comments:

Patrice said...

I loved all the photos, but especially the one of the jedi trainer teaching all the little jedis how to use their light sabers! I'm glad Bentley had a great birthday!

Nancy said...

You should have told me! I have an R2-D2 cake pan courtesty of my mother-in-law (and the 80s). :)