Monday, May 13, 2013

The Color Run

Back when I was still pregnant, my friend Vangie suggested a bunch of us run a 5K in May called the Color Run.  I knew I would only be two months postpartum, so I wasn't sure I could manage it.  But then my friend Delilas signed up to do it, despite the fact that she was having hip replacement surgery just a few weeks before my due date!  I figured if she could do it, I could do it.  So I signed up.

I had it all planned out in my head.  As soon as the baby was born, I would begin walking.  And then in April I'd begin running.  I could totally be ready in time!

I forgot to factor in a few things.  First of all, it takes a lot longer to recover from having a nearly-10-pound baby than it takes to recover from an 8-lb baby.  Even more so if you let two different people take a crack at stitching you up.  Second, I forgot that babies have no schedule, so there was no way for me to get on a regular exercising schedule.  I couldn't just get up early and go, because I never knew when he might need to eat.  And most evenings, if I decided to wait until after he'd eaten, he'd decide to sleep extra long and then it would be dark outside.  And the days when he stuck to a more normal schedule were the days it rained.  I'd managed to find a jogging stroller on freecycle, but even then, there was nothing I could do with Ryder and Kendra if I wanted to take the baby out for a run during the day.

So I basically didn't manage to train at all.  I went running twice before the 5K.  And I didn't even try out the jogging stroller until the day before, when I used it to walk Bentley to school!

But I went anyway!

And no, I didn't run the entire length.  But I probably ran about a third of it!  And more important, I had a TON of fun with my friends.  And Colton was a perfect little angel baby for the entire thing.  So I'm glad I did it.

Picture time!

Delilas and I waiting to pick up our packets

Afton keeps me company while I feed Colton before the race begins

I was really hoping that Tracy would end up with "Happy" sunburned onto her forehead, but it was too cloudy...

Baby's First Tattoo!

The entire group, shiny and clean and ready to go!
So the idea with the color run is that as you run, there are various "color stations" where volunteers throw dyed corn starch on you.  So by the end, you're a sweaty, corn starchy rainbow!  And just trust me, it's a whole lot more fun than that might sound.  I think the stations were pink, blue, orange, and yellow...  And then at the end, everyone has a color packet and they all throw them in the air together. 

So here we are, all colored up at the end:
Vangie (who pushed my stroller for me for most of the race) and me post-race-- aren't we pretty?!?!

I especially liked how the inside of my elbow turned out-- lovely!

Very glad I had a cover for the stroller-- I don't think Colton would have enjoyed inhaling corn starch...

Lenee, Vangie, Emma and me

The entire gang-- what fun!
There are a few pictures on Craig's phone that I wanted to share, too, so you're not done yet!  Until next time!

3 comments:

ugkuyg said...

You guys are awesome :)

delilas said...

Why do I always have to be such a dork? That was a fun race and I am so grateful you all will include me even in all my dorkyness.
We were all winners!!

)en said...

The color run always looks so fun to me. Unfortunately, running does... not. Dangit.