Thursday, May 23, 2013

One for Colton, Too

He's been two months old for a while now, but since today was the day of his check-up, it seems like as good a day as any to blog about my favorite little baby!

Now I hope I don't curse my luck with this, but so far Colton is an absolutely delightful little baby!  He only cries when he's hungry or tired (or when we play ring-around-the-rosy, apparently) AND he's a good sleeper!  So that's pretty much everything you can hope for in a baby, if you ask me!
This picture cracks me up-- the bent ear, the tongue sticking out, the adoring look at Daddy, and those FAT cheeks!  My baby is so funny and cute!

He loves his brothers and sister and Daddy, but I'm not gonna lie-- I am definitely his favorite right now.  But that's to be expected since I'm his only source for food at the moment.  (And since all my other kids prefer Daddy, I gotta enjoy my place in the limelight while I can!)  Colton's a good eater, but if he's not feeling on-the-brink-of-starvation hungry (ie, he's not crying yet), then rather than eat, he will take the opportunity to talk with mommy.  It's both absolutely adorable and just a teensy bit frustrating, only because that leaves me sitting there rather-- ahem-- exposed, waiting for him to stop talking so I can get on with feeding him.  But I figure if you're the fourth child, you gotta make the most of your time with mommy, so I just smile and talk back to him.  I don't remember any of my other kids having this much to coo and gurgle about at such a young age, so I already think of Colton as being my Great Communicator.  (That's not too high of expectations for a 2-month-old, is it?)

Napping in his swing.  Toys provided by a loving Ryder.

Recently he's been sleeping through the night about every third night, which is AWESOME.  And by sleeping through the night, I mean he'll sleep from about ten at night until six in the morning-- REALLY sleeping through the night.  Even when he has to eat at midnight or two or three or whenever, he's good about going right back to sleep as soon as he's done eating, so that's a relief.  I think the worst thing in the world is that first month when babies wake up, eat, and then want to cry.  It's enough to make you want to pull out your hair!  So I'm glad he understands that nighttime is mostly just for sleeping now!  Nothing makes him happier than being swaddled and put in his swing!


When Ryder was this age, I began making him cheer for himself by chanting, "Rah, rah, rah, RYDER!" and holding his hands up for his name.  Ryder loved it and would get all excited.  I do the same thing for Colton now, except the cheer is "Go go go COLTON!" and I get the EXACT same results.  This both makes me happy and confirms in my mind that Colton is sort of a re-run of Ryder.  But I always said if all my babies could be like Ryder, I'd want ten more, so if he's just like Ryder, that's the best thing ever, as far as I'm concerned!
All my babies have this knack for pulling duck faces.  So I helpfully tell them, "You look nothing like a duck."  Which is a quote from this time that Steve Martin appeared on David Letterman and makes me laugh to myself...

His check-up today was an exercise in me looking ridiculous, but I'm getting more and more used to that these days.  To begin with, Kendra's preschool got cancelled, so I had to bring both her and Ryder to the appointment.  So just by showing up, we're already something of a three-ring circus.  Then, as we're sitting in the waiting area, Colton managed to soak through his diaper (or perhaps just miss it entirely) and get me all wet.  I was afraid of this happening-- I swear it's his favorite thing to do whenever we're NOT at home-- and had brought an extra shirt just in case, but not an extra pair of pants.  Charming.  And then he began crying the moment the pediatrician looked at him.  So you can imagine how fun the three shots he received were!

Ah, well.  A quick feeding cheered him right up (okay, put him to sleep), and then all was well again with the world.


I love my little Colton.

3 comments:

Anne said...

So cute! I love the big, smiling grin! I wish we could get together...meet in the middle maybe... Kansas? :)

Patrice said...

He is so adorable-my how he has grown in one month!!I can't wait to hold him again (and happily, that will be soon!!!).

Nancy said...

I took all four kids with me to the doctor the other day. BUT, to my credit, two of them had check ups. AND, I made the two who weren't there for check ups (Ella and Linus) wait in the waiting room with books. (I'm sure the office staff loved that!)