Saturday, June 21, 2014

Can You Keep a Secret?

We didn't have any luck finding a home for our rooster.  I tried Craig's list, Janna tried a friend near us who she thought wanted a Welsummer rooster.  No luck.  So there was really only one option left.  And we needed to hurry before he started crowing for real and a neighbor complained.  So Craig found a friend to help (who had been curious to try this) and I took the kids to that same friend's house to play with his kids while he was gone.  And the two of them went to work...


Our poor rooster wasn't quite full grown yet and makes for kind of a puny roast chicken.   Let's pretend he's a Cornish gaming hen instead, okay?  Now we sound sophisticated!

Anyway, we would like to raise broilers some day for real.  Which was why Craig was willing to go through with this now-- it was sort of a test drive.  But when we raise chickens with the (should I say pre-meditated?) plan to eat them, we won't let the kids name them and get attached.  Everyone will understand from the beginning what these chickens are for.  So this was totally following our long-term plan, it just wasn't following our short-term plan...

But for now, could you PLEASE not mention this to our kids?  I'm afraid Kendra might not take it well...

5 comments:

)en said...

What if you gave them food names, like Nugget. We used to raise up cows from time to time and I remember one named Hamburger. Reading this, it's starting to feel very wrong, but he just tasted so right.

Erin said...

Nice job, Craig! I'm not sure I'd be up to killing a chicken/cow/pig myself. I dunno. Maybe if I watched someone else do it first. I hope he tasted good!

Patrice said...

I remember Grandma & Grandpa Hansen staying at someone's farm and discovering that they were eating the turkey (I think) that they had seen earlier in the day. I think Grandpa was a little unnerved. I think I would be with Kendra on this one-of course, I only buy boneless, skinless chicken breasts when I am cooking so I don't count!

Donna Smith said...

I am thoroughly convinced that Craig can do anything!!! He just amazes me. Actually, you both amaze me!!!

Natalie R. said...

Wow, that's pretty intense! Poor little rooster; I'm sorry you guys had to do that, but I'm glad that it went so well. How did it taste??