Saturday, June 7, 2014

Oh, Dear...

I went out in the yard for a moment just to see if the garden needed weeding.  It looked all right, so I was heading back inside when I heard this dreadful, prolonged honking noise.  My heart sank.  I've been worrying off and on for weeks now, but this seemed to confirm it: our Sophronia is a rooster.

He has since been renamed Cornelius, after the Corn Flakes mascot.



And I am looking for a place that wants him before that choking noise can blossom into full-blown crowing.  And, thence, before the neighbors start complaining!  (Although, honestly, who could hear him over the FOUR GREAT DANES just two houses down???)

It's really a shame, because these roosters are absolutely beautiful and quite frankly, much prettier than the hens of the same breed:


And those eggs!  The most scrumptious looking eggs come from welsummers!  I won't be getting any chocolate brown eggs that look like this:

{Sigh.}

But on the plus side-- this does make it more likely that I'll be getting more chicks next spring!



In the mean time, if you know anyone in search of an absolutely gorgeous, free-range rooster, you know where to find me!

6 comments:

Jen Evans said...

My dad's neighbor has a rooster and it's all you can hear outside all day long. Bless you for regaining your rooster. And good luck. Maybe a drive by at frying pan farm?

Angela Okada said...

This made for a really interesting story to start to Class Presidency Meeting. ;-)

W Hansen said...

Poor Sophronia...I mean Cornelius. It's at that age where you can turn male roosters into good chicken dinners. If you want to go that route...

Alanna said...

Whitney-- I would totally be all over making this chicken into dinner! I'm sure it will kind of gross me out, but I think it's important to have a better understanding of where our food comes from. But Craig says we are not allowed to eat anything that has a name. And Kendra is so attached to these chickens, that I'm pretty sure this would be the perfect way to turn her into a vegetarian! So no eating (these) chickens. But maybe some day...!

Jen Evans said...

When I said regaining, I meant rehoming. And making this comment it tried to autocorrect me to regaining again. You can't trick me twice, autocorrect!!

Natalie R. said...

I didn't realize that the Corn Flakes rooster is named Cornelius. How did you figure that out?? I'm sorry about the surprise - poor Sophronia!