Tuesday, March 29, 2016

A Street By Any Other Name...

I love my new neighborhood.  But.  The street names are embarrassingly pretentious.  For example, the street I live on is Foxchase Ridge.  You know-- because every time we have a few hours to spare, we all saddle up and go on a steeple chase!  It's just like Downton Abbey around here.  (Also, the fact that it's one word is something I have to clarify every time I give someone my address over the phone.)
Me and Mary are buddies now.  You might call us chums, I suppose?

Our neighborhood is called Foxcroft, and the other streets-- see if you can catch the pattern here!-- are Fox Horn, Fox Crest, Foxvale, Leaping Fox, and Running Fox
A leaping fox.  Just for you.

Oh, and Rolling Valley.  In the middle of this small neighborhood is one street called Rolling Valley.  What happened there?  The builders couldn't think of ANY OTHER WORD to tack onto their fox theme?  It's not like Fox Crest or Foxvale made any sense to begin with!  

Anyway.  If that's my biggest complaint, that's pretty minor.  I find it ironic, though, that when we were house hunting there was a house on Shepherd's Ridge that caught our eye and I told Craig I thought the street name sounded a bit affected-- like we thought we were in England or something.  And then we ended up living here instead.  Compared to Foxchase Ridge, Shepherd's Ridge sounds downright humble!


For all these names, though, I'm pleased to report that the foxes have NOT managed to get our chickens yet!  So that's happy.

Also, here's my cherry blossom tree that I'm so excited about.  I took this picture looking out my bedroom window, like all great photographers do...

And I love this-- here's Camille trying to look out that same window at that same tree.


1 comment:

Juliana said...

Your neighborhood looks beautiful! And I love thinking about the character of street names. Grandma Margaret lives by a Lofty Lane - it makes me chuckle every time :)