Saturday, March 19, 2016

More About My Trees.

The little kids and I went for morning walks the last two mornings.  (I'd been trying to get up early and go walking, but daylight savings combined with a really hectic week nixed that for this week, so this was me trying to make up for that.  And, we didn't have any other plans, so it seemed like as good a thing as any to fill the time.)  There are walking trails all around our neighborhood, so it's perfect for letting Ryder run ahead while Colton straggles behind.  And I get to work hard pushing the stroller up and down the hills.  (I used to put Camille in the Ergo carrier, but going down hills with her extra weight doesn't feel good on my knees, and I'm determined to not wreck them before I'm 40.)

Anyway, I love our morning walks.  We managed to spot woodpeckers, cardinals, a blackbird, and even a pair of turkey vultures super close by!  WOW, those are creepy ugly birds!  But I was still excited to see them.

But the best thing I saw was that one of the trees in our front yard (actually, the one right behind Craig, in that picture I'm using for my blog banner) is STARTING TO BLOOM!!!!  We have a cherry blossom tree, and I didn't even know it!!!

This just barely gives you the idea, but it was the best I could do...

This is especially good because the cherry blossom tree I made Craig plant in our front yard in Manassas totally died.  Apparently you can't bully them into blooming after all.  Or, you can, but then a few months later all their leaves will turn brown and fall off and they'll never sprout another leaf again.  And you'll be left with a sad, dead little tree in your front yard that you leave there and wonder how long it will take the new owners to notice and chop down.  (We're heading in to Manassas next week and I'm very curious to see if that tree is still there, and if they ever chopped down our hideous maple that everyone wanted gone.  I'll letcha know!)

Anyway, this new tree is pretty well established, so hopefully it can withstand my brown thumb and Craig's pruning job and bless us with beautiful blossoms for many years to come.  And I'll be sure to not threaten it AT ALL.

Also, here are the pink flowers I mentioned:
They might be rather sickly hyacinths?  I'm not really sure...  But I like them!

After temperatures in the 80s, they're predicting snow for tomorrow.  The east coast can never do weather halfway.  We'll see if all my flowers survive...

No comments: